Chemical Polymer Separation (PLA, ABS, HIPS, and PETG)

In summary, calcium chloride may be the best solvent to use to isolate PETG from PLA. It is non-toxic and cheap, and has a tolerable smell.
not_a_chemist
Good day all!

I've got a granular mixture of PLA, ABS, HIPS, and PETG with a particle size of about a quarter inch, and I'm trying to isolate each polymer from the mix. PLA and PETG have densities of about 1.27g/ml, and ABS and HIPS have densities of around 1.06g/ml. I think a weighted solution of about 1.2g/ml would do nicely to separate the PLA/PETG, but I'm not sure what the best solvent/solute would be. I've already tried glycerin in water, and air bubbles tend to nucleate on the surface of the plastic, reducing the effective density and defeating the purpose. I'd like to use something that's non-toxic, cheap, and with a tolerable smell. Tall order?

I think calcium chloride might do the trick, but I'm not entirely sure.

I found a way to separate the ABS from the HIPS (50/50 volumetric mix of acetic acid and water), but I'm completely at a loss for how to isolate PETG from PLA. Any thoughts?

Thank you all very much!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
not_a_chemist said:
and with a tolerable smell. Tall order?
"Tolerable smell" over how long a time? You're essentially washing things, which brings surfactants https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfactant , for control of your "effective density" problem, but those are going to be an extra rinse step. How often do you anticipate refresh/replacement of your flotation medium?

I'll be working with the solution for about forty five minutes, but probably only once a week. Surfactants sound like a good idea, are there any that would be the best to try? I don't have access to as large of a stock as I would like, so it would have to be special ordered.

I don't anticipate refreshing/replacing the solution very often. The plastic will be washed prior to being separated, and I don't imagine much dirt/adhesives or other contaminates will make it in.

Thank you!

not_a_chemist said:
washed prior to being separated,
Should go a long way toward controlling "smell."
not_a_chemist said:
best to try?
Plain soap, and work your way to more expensive?

1. What is chemical polymer separation?

Chemical polymer separation is the process of breaking down and separating different types of polymers, such as PLA, ABS, HIPS, and PETG, into their individual components using chemical reactions.

2. Why is chemical polymer separation important?

Chemical polymer separation is important because it allows us to recycle and reuse plastic materials, reducing the amount of waste that ends up in landfills or in the environment. It also allows us to recover valuable materials from plastic, such as PETG, which can be used to make new products.

3. How is chemical polymer separation done?

Chemical polymer separation is typically done through a process called depolymerization, where the plastic is broken down into its monomers (individual units that make up the polymer) using chemical reactions. The monomers are then separated and purified for reuse.

4. Can all types of plastic be separated using chemical reactions?

No, not all types of plastic can be separated using chemical reactions. Some plastics, such as PVC, contain chlorine atoms that make them difficult to break down and separate. Other plastics, like polystyrene, have a complex molecular structure that makes them challenging to recycle through chemical means.

5. Are there any downsides to chemical polymer separation?

One potential downside of chemical polymer separation is the use of harsh chemicals, which can be harmful to the environment and human health if not handled properly. It also requires a significant amount of energy to break down and separate the polymers, making it less energy-efficient than other recycling methods.