1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical, Software or Electrical Engineering?

1. Apr 12, 2012 #1
    I'm currently at the end of my first year of engineering and I have to pick a specialization in the next two weeks. I've been thinking hard, almost constantly about which one I want to choose but I still can't decide between chemical, software or electrical engineering.

I like something in every field of engineering (not just in the ones listed above) but there's also things I dislike.

In highschool, I really liked chemistry, and I realize that there's actually not much chemistry (or so I've heard) in chemical engineering. With that said, I still like what chemical engineering entails. My school offers a bio-medical specialization along with the degree so I was maybe thinking of taking that and landing a job in a pharmaceutical company. There are also a lot of oil and gas companies where I live (Calgary) so even if I didn't land one there I wouldn't mind being in the oil and gas sector. My question about this is, is there much difference in pay, working conditions or anything else I should be aware about( I know it's not too important but it would be nice to know before making a decisions) ?

In this first semester, I also took my first programming course ever and I instantly fell in love with it. I know software engineering is much more than just programming but other than that I have no idea what a software engineer does. If someone could give me a brief overview, that would be great.

As for electrical engineering, it has a lot of ups and downs for me. I like the idea of designing circuits / hardware and the programming part of it is also intriguing. However, I wasn't very passionate about my first year electrical circuits course (mostly just circuit analysis) and the physics course was 'ok', I'm not sure if it was how it was presented or what. I found it interesting, just not intriguing enough that I would want to find out more.

If it's useful, I would also pursue a masters degree in whichever of the subjects above I decide to choose if it helps me get the job that I want.

If anyone could give me some advice that would be great! Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted