Chemically resistant sealing options

In summary: They are also heat resistant to around 160C. Additionally: Once you decide on a material (FFKM, for example), you have the added concern of the specific formulation. FFKM with a carbon filler is absolutely unsuitable for some applications where FFKM with a 'mineral' filler performs beautifully. It's definitely an area where learning from the mistakes/successes of others is wise. Pioneering is expensive.
EagerBeaver1
Does anyone have any experience with FFKM sealing solutions? I am looking for rubber seals to be used in the chemical processing industry and would need material that has high chemical resistant properties.

I've done some research online and found something called TRPlast which has a similar chemical resistance to PTFE so this could work, but before I rushed into making commitments, I thought it couldn't hurt to seek out a second opinion.

Is FFKM the best option for chemical processing or should I continue to shop around?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
EagerBeaver1 said:
Is FFKM the best option for chemical processing or should I continue to shop around?

There is not a best option for *all* chemicals and *all* temperatures/pressures. Which chemicals are you trying to resist, and at what temperature/pressure?

Specifying Chemical resistance or chemical processing is vague. Liquid chlorine, sulphur gas, sulfuric acid, plasticizers, and ethylene oxide are all chemicals, but their elastomer specs can vary, especially when cost/temperature are concerned.

Likes Asymptotic and berkeman
What Chemair said.
Additionally: Once you decide on a material (FFKM, for example), you have the added concern of the specific formulation. FFKM with a carbon filler is absolutely unsuitable for some applications where FFKM with a 'mineral' filler performs beautifully. It's definitely an area where learning from the mistakes/successes of others is wise. Pioneering is expensive.

Use silly putty

I were looking for a rubber that withstand more than 100ºC and an oil (I could use the oil that is compatible with the rubber) and made a big chart but found no one better than viton and PTFE (I need compatibility also with vacuum) so I will use a ceramic :(

Here are seal compatibility charts that could help:
https://www.finemech.com/tech_resources/chemical_resistance.pdf
http://www.saltech.co.il/_uploads/dbsattachedfiles/chemical.pdf

EagerBeaver1 said:
Does anyone have any experience with FFKM sealing solutions? I am looking for rubber seals to be used in the chemical processing industry and would need material that has high chemical resistant properties.

I've done some research online and found something called TRPlast which has a similar chemical resistance to PTFE so this could work, but before I rushed into making commitments, I thought it couldn't hurt to seek out a second opinion.

Thanks
These materials above are belonging to family of fluoropolymer elastomers. It is on the high end of performance, although in your case temperature performance is possibly redundant while durability against mechanical stress may be problematic. For lower operating temperatures (below 150C typically) silicone (PDMS) based sealing parts are cheaper and more durable. Silicones have chemical resistance similar to fluoropolymers.

1. What is the purpose of chemically resistant sealing options?

Chemically resistant sealing options are specifically designed to prevent chemical substances from leaking or reacting with the surrounding environment. They are commonly used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, oil and gas, and automotive to ensure the safety and integrity of materials and products.

2. What types of chemicals can chemically resistant seals withstand?

Chemically resistant seals are engineered to withstand a wide range of chemicals, including acids, bases, solvents, fuels, and corrosive substances. The specific type of seal needed will depend on the specific chemicals it will be exposed to.

3. What materials are commonly used in chemically resistant sealing options?

Some common materials used in chemically resistant seals include PTFE (Teflon), EPDM rubber, Viton, silicone, and fluoroelastomers. These materials have excellent chemical resistance and can withstand harsh environments and extreme temperatures.

4. How do I choose the right chemically resistant seal for my application?

Choosing the right chemically resistant seal will depend on a variety of factors, including the type of chemical it will be exposed to, the operating temperature and pressure, and the type of equipment it will be used in. It is important to consult with a sealing expert to determine the best option for your specific application.

5. How do I ensure the longevity of chemically resistant seals?

To ensure the longevity of chemically resistant seals, it is important to properly select and install them according to manufacturer recommendations. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify any potential issues and extend the lifespan of the seals. Additionally, following proper storage and handling procedures can prevent premature deterioration of the seals.