Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace High Performance Sealing Options (Turbomachinery)

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1

minger

Science Advisor

Let's say you have a turbojet shaft that needs sealed. Temperatures and pressures are very high (very). Now let's assume that you don't know squat about seals. Aside from brush and labby seals, what other sealing options exist that can operate at extremely high pressures/temperatures (and possibly surface velocities).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2009 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The surface velocities are the killer. You really don't have any other choices than labby's or carbon seals. Either a radial or face carbon seal is probably your best bet. Even then, depending on the seal delta P you could still be in trouble.

4. Oct 15, 2009 #3

minger

Science Advisor

bleh. We're predicting too high leakage rates with the labbys, and I think we're out of the temperature range for carbon face seals. We might find ourselves running a lot of labbys inline...might not have the space for it though.

It's what I figured, but thanks for the info nonetheless.

5. Oct 15, 2009 #4

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Minger,
    Can you get the seal out of the hot area? Perhaps by moving it down the shaft or extending the shaft?

6. Oct 15, 2009 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

There are games to be played with cooling schemes. I am assuming this is in/around an HP turbine?

7. Oct 15, 2009 #6

minger

Science Advisor

Yea, it's a seal for the combustor. Due to the scope of the program (which I won't get into), the shaft has an odd shape, forcing high surface velocities.

We have another guy looking at options, but it seems that we're running out; I figured I'd take a look around. It's kind of funny though, google for high temp seals, and most suppliers' defintion of high temp is like kitchen oven temp...not so much HP spool temps.

8. Dec 14, 2009 #7
    Could you route high pressure bleed air through a cooler then back into the seal area?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook