1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry 12 - Keq & equilibirum - QUESTION

1. Jun 16, 2008 #1
    Consider the following equilibrium:
    CO(g) + 2H2(g) <-> CH3OH(g)
    Some CO, H2 and CH3OH were placed in a 1.0L container. When equilibrium
    was established, the [CO] had increased. Which of the following is true?

A. Trial Keq > Keq so reaction shifted left to reach equilibrium.
    B. Trial Keq < Keq so reaction shifted left to reach equilibrium.
    C. Trial Keq > Keq so reaction shifted right to reach equilibrium.
    D. Trial Keq < Keq so reaction shifted right to reach equilibrium.

So, my answer is letter "b". However, I had found out from the provincial answer that this is wrong. Now, I'm boggled because keq = [products]/[reactants] therefore, IF the [CO] has increased which is a reactant, the products would be smaller than the reactant and therefore resulting a smaller keq than the original keq.

So, am I wrong? Or is the provincial answer wrong?
    (The answer from the provincial is letter "a")

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, I am not familar with Keq - is it just a reaction quotient? Becasue K is usually reserved for equilibrium constants, which is - as name implies - constant, so Keq = Keq no matter what you do. On the other hand reaction quotient is identical to K (ie [products]/[reactants]) but it describes current situation, so it can take any value, depending on circumstances.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  4. Jun 17, 2008 #3
    It's obviously "a". If trial Keq > Keq it means the products' concentrations are too high with respect to the reagents' conc., so the reaction shifts to the left.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?