Chemistry 12 - Keq & equilibirum - QUESTION

• Thread starter 1calculus1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary: If trial Keq < Keq it means the products' concentrations are too low with respect to the reagents' conc., so the reaction shifts to the left.
1calculus1
Consider the following equilibrium:
CO(g) + 2H2(g) <-> CH3OH(g)
Some CO, H2 and CH3OH were placed in a 1.0L container. When equilibrium
was established, the [CO] had increased. Which of the following is true?

A. Trial Keq > Keq so reaction shifted left to reach equilibrium.
B. Trial Keq < Keq so reaction shifted left to reach equilibrium.
C. Trial Keq > Keq so reaction shifted right to reach equilibrium.
D. Trial Keq < Keq so reaction shifted right to reach equilibrium.So, my answer is letter "b". However, I had found out from the provincial answer that this is wrong. Now, I'm boggled because keq = [products]/[reactants] therefore, IF the [CO] has increased which is a reactant, the products would be smaller than the reactant and therefore resulting a smaller keq than the original keq.

So, am I wrong? Or is the provincial answer wrong?
(The answer from the provincial is letter "a")

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I am not familar with Keq - is it just a reaction quotient? Becasue K is usually reserved for equilibrium constants, which is - as name implies - constant, so Keq = Keq no matter what you do. On the other hand reaction quotient is identical to K (ie [products]/[reactants]) but it describes current situation, so it can take any value, depending on circumstances.

Last edited:
1calculus1 said:
Consider the following equilibrium:
CO(g) + 2H2(g) <-> CH3OH(g)
Some CO, H2 and CH3OH were placed in a 1.0L container. When equilibrium
was established, the [CO] had increased. Which of the following is true?

A. Trial Keq > Keq so reaction shifted left to reach equilibrium.
B. Trial Keq < Keq so reaction shifted left to reach equilibrium.
C. Trial Keq > Keq so reaction shifted right to reach equilibrium.
D. Trial Keq < Keq so reaction shifted right to reach equilibrium.

So, my answer is letter "b". However, I had found out from the provincial answer that this is wrong. Now, I'm boggled because keq = [products]/[reactants] therefore, IF the [CO] has increased which is a reactant, the products would be smaller than the reactant and therefore resulting a smaller keq than the original keq.

So, am I wrong? Or is the provincial answer wrong?
(The answer from the provincial is letter "a")

It's obviously "a". If trial Keq > Keq it means the products' concentrations are too high with respect to the reagents' conc., so the reaction shifts to the left.

1. What is Keq in chemistry?

Keq, also known as the equilibrium constant, is a measure of the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium in a chemical reaction. It helps to determine the extent to which a reaction will proceed in the forward or reverse direction.

2. How is Keq calculated?

Keq is calculated by taking the concentration of the products raised to their respective coefficients in the balanced chemical equation, divided by the concentration of the reactants raised to their respective coefficients.

3. What does it mean if Keq is greater than 1?

If Keq is greater than 1, it means that at equilibrium, the concentration of products is higher than the concentration of reactants. This indicates that the reaction favors the formation of products and will proceed mostly in the forward direction.

4. Can Keq change?

Keq is a constant value for a given reaction at a specific temperature. It can change if the temperature or the concentration of reactants or products is altered. However, the equilibrium constant will always remain the same for a specific reaction under the same conditions.

5. How does Le Chatelier's principle relate to Keq?

Le Chatelier's principle states that when a system in equilibrium is subjected to a stress, it will shift in a direction that reduces the effect of the stress. Keq is a measure of a reaction's equilibrium, and Le Chatelier's principle helps to predict how the equilibrium will shift in response to changes in temperature, pressure, or concentration of reactants or products.