1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry - Adding Strong Acid to Buffer

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A beaker with 135 mL of an acetic acid buffer with a pH of 5.00 is sitting on a benchtop. The total molarity of acid and conjugate base in this buffer is 0.1 M. A student adds 7.80 mL of a 0.400 M solution to the beaker. How much will the pH change? The pKa of acetic acid is 4.76.

2. Relevant equations

Henderson-Hasselbach equation: pH = pKa + log([base]/[acid])

3. The attempt at a solution

hat I did was find the total number of moles of acid + base = 0.0135. Then using the pH = pKa + log([base]/[acid]) I found the ratio of [base]/[acid] to be 1.74. Then using these two equations I found the moles of acid to be 4.93*10^-3 and base = 5.45*10^-3. Next I found the moles of HCl = 0.00312 mol and substracted that from the base and added it to the acid so: acid = 8.05*10^-3 and base = 5.45*10^-3. Now I put these values into pH = pKa + log([base]/[acid]) and got the pH to be 4.59...therefore the change would be -0.40...But I think this value is too high...I think it's supposed to be lower. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong? Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

7.80 mL of a 0.400 M solution of what? Possibly a strong acid? I'll assume it is a strong acid (HCl).
    No. What does your question say about the total concentration of the acid [HA] and conjugate base[A-]? It isn't 0.0135.

This part is right.

Your logic is sound here but you used the wrong value for the ratio of [A-]/[HA]. Can you calculate initial [A-] given only the initial pH? You should also keep in mind that [A-](initial) + [HA](initial) = 0.1 and that total doesn't change throughout the problem, only the individual values of [A-] and [HA].

Hope it helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?