Chemistry - Equilibria questions involving ICE tables

In summary, in equilibria questions involving ice tables, if Ka is significantly smaller than the initial amounts, we can omit as many x's as we like from the equation. This makes solving for x easier, but it only applies if the constant is a sum and x is less than 5% of that constant.
EdTheHead
In my book for all these equilibria questions involving ice tables when I end up with [tex]Ka = \frac{(x)(x)}{initial amount - x}[/tex] they always say that if the Ka is tiny compared to the initial amounts then we can assume x will be too and we can omit as many x's as we like from this equation. This obviously makes solving for x a whole lot easier but I don't get how this works.

First off a weak acid/base example
[tex]Ka = \frac{(x)(x)}{initial\ amount - x}[/tex]
if I omit 1 x I get [tex]x = \sqrt{Ka(initial\ amount)}[/tex]
if I omitted 2 x's I'd get [tex]x = Ka(initial\ amount)[/tex] a completely different answer. Does this only apply if I have a [tex](constant \pm x)[/tex] then I just omit the plus/minus x?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
x can be omitted only in sums.

There is a rule of thumb (so called 5% rule) which says that a+x can be approximated by a if x is less than 5% of a. See here.

--
methods

1. What is an ICE table and how is it used in chemistry?

An ICE table is a tool used in chemistry to organize and solve equilibrium problems. ICE stands for Initial, Change, and Equilibrium. It is used to keep track of the concentrations or pressures of reactants and products at different stages of a reaction, and to calculate the equilibrium concentrations or pressures.

2. How do you set up an ICE table for a given equilibrium reaction?

To set up an ICE table, first write the balanced chemical equation for the equilibrium reaction. Then, list the initial concentrations or pressures of all reactants and products. Next, determine the changes in concentration or pressure for each species based on the stoichiometry of the reaction. Finally, use the equilibrium expression and the values in the table to calculate the equilibrium concentrations or pressures.

3. Can an ICE table be used for both homogeneous and heterogeneous equilibrium reactions?

Yes, an ICE table can be used for both homogeneous and heterogeneous equilibrium reactions. For homogeneous reactions, the concentrations of all species can be used in the table. For heterogeneous reactions, the concentrations of pure solids or liquids are not included in the equilibrium expression, but their initial amounts are still listed in the table.

4. What is the significance of the equilibrium constant (K) in an ICE table?

The equilibrium constant (K) represents the ratio of product concentrations to reactant concentrations at equilibrium. It is a measure of the extent of the reaction and can indicate whether the reaction favors the formation of products or reactants. In an ICE table, the equilibrium constant can be used to calculate the equilibrium concentrations or pressures of the species.

5. Can an ICE table be used to predict the direction of a reaction?

Yes, an ICE table can be used to predict the direction of a reaction. If the calculated equilibrium constant (K) is greater than 1, the reaction favors the formation of products. If the calculated K is less than 1, the reaction favors the formation of reactants. If the calculated K is equal to 1, the reaction is at equilibrium and the amounts of products and reactants are equal.