Chemistry [Spectrophotometry difficult example]

In summary, the conversation is about setting up equations to solve a problem involving absorbance and concentrations of different substances. The solution involves using the Lambert's Beer law and understanding that absorbance is additive when there is more than one substance present in the solution.
Dousin12

Homework Statement

349fce81d2206bdcd2d1a6293b2e70bc.png

Homework Equations

A=epsilon*l*c

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was wondering on how to set up the equations now, since I don't have much information? Which equations should i use to solve the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have all the information needed. Assume the observed absorbance is the sum of individual absorbances.

Please help me understand how I should set up the equations!

91ebaf011f2f50623d16ab8bc7d8c5e0.png

This is a big questionmark to me, why u should this?
0.183 = 9970*concentration of Fe + 34*concentration of cupper. Why is 0.183 equal to that?

This is a direct application of the Lambert's Beer law which you wrote in your first post, and the fact that the observed absorbance is a sum of absorbances of copper and iron.

Assuming there is no copper, can you write formulas for the absorbances of the solution at both wavelengths? Can you do the same for iron? Can you add these values?

I still have really difficult! To understand why you add these values!

Dousin12 said:
I still have really difficult! To understand why you add these values!

Which part of the "absorbance is additive" statement is not clear to you?

If there is more than one substance present in the solution, each absorbs on its own, so the observed total absorbance is a sum of individual absorbances (at least for relatively diluted solutions).

What is spectrophotometry and how does it relate to chemistry?

Spectrophotometry is a technique used in chemistry to measure the amount of light absorbed by a substance. It is often used to determine the concentration of a particular chemical in a solution.

How does a spectrophotometer work?

A spectrophotometer works by shining a beam of light through a sample and measuring the amount of light that passes through it. The amount of light absorbed by the sample is then compared to a reference solution to determine the concentration of the chemical of interest.

What is the Beer-Lambert Law and why is it important in spectrophotometry?

The Beer-Lambert Law is a mathematical relationship that describes the correlation between the concentration of a substance in a solution and the amount of light absorbed by that solution. It is important in spectrophotometry because it allows for the accurate determination of concentrations in a sample.

What are some common sources of error in spectrophotometry?

One common source of error in spectrophotometry is the presence of impurities in the sample, which can affect the accuracy of the measurements. Other sources of error include incorrect calibration of the instrument, air bubbles in the sample, and variations in the light source.

What are the applications of spectrophotometry in chemistry?

Spectrophotometry has a wide range of applications in chemistry, including determining the concentration of a substance in a solution, studying the kinetics of a reaction, and identifying unknown substances. It is also used in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, environmental monitoring, and food and beverage testing.