1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry textbook recommendations sought

1. Apr 21, 2009 #1
    My daughter (12) is coming to end of the first year of a four-year course in Chemistry leading to GCSE (here in the UK).

I would welcome recommendations about suitable textbooks (preferably with answers/teacher's notes) that I can use to help her as she prepares for year-end exams (and for the next three years work/exams).

I took (and passed) GCE Chemistry years ago and so have some (rather dim) memories of the subject matter but the content and approach seem to have changed substantially since my time.

Thanks for any help.

Euan

PS: I am not a teacher (of any subject).

PPS: Please accept my apologies if this request has been raised before.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2009 #2

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

Zumdahl's or Silberberg's

4. Apr 22, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the recommendations.

There are several books (on Amazon) by Silberberg. Did you mean: Principles of General Chemistry?

If so, is this suitable for GCSE (UK) level Chemistry?

Euan

5. Apr 22, 2009 #4
    Zumdahl or Silberberg are written for a one year general chemistry course at the freshman level of an american university. I suspect that by the time your daughter takes all four years she will have covered most of the same topics. On the other hand, I would doubt very much that such texts would be appropriate for a 12 year old, perhaps when she's in her last year.

It might be worth it to buy one of those books, and put together some problem sets for her from some of the easier questions.

6. Apr 23, 2009 #5
    Thank you for your advice. I will try to obtain the book from a library and compare its treatment with my daughter's school textbook (where, unfortunately, the material is rather thin).

Euan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook