1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cherry Pickr Tippng Angle & Potential Energy Req To Tip

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I have been tasked with working out load charts for various MEWPS (or cherry pickers) on board semi-submersible rigs, the iddea is to de-rate these in various sea states the same as an offshore crane, i have tried to simplify this as much as i can, however i am stuck when i try to work out the potential energy required to tip a cherry picker when the rig rolls and pitches (this is not a comprehensive engineering investigation, merely a simplification of what is required), i also would like to work out the inclination or angle required to make the cherry picker tip over.

Can anyone help with this?, i have attached a doc with sketches and figures to try and show you my way of thinking....

Thanks in advance

Glocki 35

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't take any energy to tip - it gives off energy that's why it happens.
    You just need the CoG (technicaly the centre of mass) to move outside the base (ie the wheels) all pitching and rolling of a ship does is to provide the tip

4. Oct 5, 2009 #3
    Hi MGB_phys,

just wanted to say thanks for the reply, much appreciated :)

5. Oct 13, 2009 #4

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook