Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cherry Pickr Tippng Angle & Potential Energy Req To Tip

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I have been tasked with working out load charts for various MEWPS (or cherry pickers) on board semi-submersible rigs, the iddea is to de-rate these in various sea states the same as an offshore crane, i have tried to simplify this as much as i can, however i am stuck when i try to work out the potential energy required to tip a cherry picker when the rig rolls and pitches (this is not a comprehensive engineering investigation, merely a simplification of what is required), i also would like to work out the inclination or angle required to make the cherry picker tip over.

Can anyone help with this?, i have attached a doc with sketches and figures to try and show you my way of thinking....

Thanks in advance

Glocki 35

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't take any energy to tip - it gives off energy that's why it happens.
    You just need the CoG (technicaly the centre of mass) to move outside the base (ie the wheels) all pitching and rolling of a ship does is to provide the tip

4. Oct 5, 2009 #3
    Hi MGB_phys,

just wanted to say thanks for the reply, much appreciated :)

5. Oct 13, 2009 #4

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook