Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

China bans 'Simpsons' from prime time TV

1. Aug 13, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

We're really lucky to be living in a free country, no matter how flawed it may be.

"BEIJING - D'oh! China has banished Homer Simpson, Pokemon and Mickey Mouse from prime time. Beginning Sept. 1, regulators have barred foreign cartoons from TV from 5 to 8 p.m. in an effort to protect China's struggling animation studios, news reports said Sunday. The move allows the Monkey King and his Chinese pals to get the top TV viewing hours to themselves."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060813/ap_on_en_tv/china_cartoon_ban

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2006 #2

Astronuc

I wholeheartedly agree. :approve:

4. Aug 13, 2006 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Talk about irony!!! Our government doesn't even restrict unfair trade practices [on the part of the Chinese] that are killing US industry.

5. Aug 13, 2006 #4
    Huh? I think we do the same thing to foreign competitors, obvious example would be foreign cars.

6. Aug 13, 2006 #5
    Im glad I dont live in China

7. Aug 13, 2006 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And in addition to quotas, you have subsidies, import duties and a whole host of non-tariff based import barriers in place to protect local industry/agriculture.

8. Aug 13, 2006 #7
    I'm so never going to speak to the Peoples Republic of China. Yes, the extra was sarcasm :P

9. Aug 13, 2006 #8
    Cool the monkey King is part of the chinese culture anyways. Good for the chinese.

10. Aug 13, 2006 #9

Evo

Sounds like the Chinese are tired of it and would like something more innovative for a change. I mean I love lentils, but I can't eat them all of the time. People need variety.

11. Aug 13, 2006 #10

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

my wife doesn't let me watch the simpsons either. some people are too intelligent to appreciate the simpsons.

how can anyone not appreciate a show where ned (the kindly christian neighbor) is actually the devil in one episode, and when the convenience store guy, apu, is asked whether having the entrance to paul mccartneys secret garden located behind the non alcoholic beer ever causes a problem, he says "it has never come up".

woohoo!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  12. Aug 13, 2006 #11

russ_watters

All countries stack the deck, but there is a difference between stacking the deck and outright banning the competing products.

13. Aug 13, 2006 #12

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Come on. We all know Family Guy is waaayyy better. :)

I love the Simpsons too and Futurama. Why did it die? :(

14. Aug 13, 2006 #13
    Does the US even have any non-American programming on its primetime networks? Of course that's not a manifestation of extreme nationalism in government; it's merely a sign of a very decrepit culture.

15. Aug 13, 2006 #14
    What about BANZAI? That was there for a while.

16. Aug 13, 2006 #15

russ_watters

Family Guy is good, but Futurama died because it sucked...

17. Aug 13, 2006 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The competing product is not completely banned - only restricted to certain times (all but 3 hours in a day). One might argue that that's a gentler restriction than a quota, and comparable to a import tariff.

Really, there are far worse restrictions on basic freedoms that China is responsible for - it's silly to pick on them for pushing the Simpsons beyond 8pm! :rolleyes:

18. Aug 13, 2006 #17

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I don't mean to sound anti-patriotic, but the impresson I get is that we're free because our government oppresses other nations. I certainly don't feel free to go to just any other country and announce I'm a US citizen.

19. Aug 13, 2006 #18

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Exactly.

We generally have a lot more freedom than they do.

As a Canadian, I honestly think I have more freedoms than an American has though.

20. Aug 13, 2006 #19

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

True, and besides it plays at 8pm here.

21. Aug 14, 2006 #20

Pythagorean

Gold Member

been to canada. agree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?