Chinook Salmon Swimming Pattern

• Thread starter DatAshe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Swimming
In summary, the question asks to determine the average velocity and percentage of time saved for a Chinook salmon jumping and swimming underwater. The average velocity is found by dividing the total displacement by the total time, and the percentage of time saved is calculated by comparing the time taken for the entire journey with and without jumping.
DatAshe
This question has me puzzled, I only have a little bit of a clue of how to do this. Any and all help is greatly appreciated:)

Homework Statement

Chinook salmon are able to move through water especially fast by jumping out of the water periodically. This behavior is called porpoising. Suppose a salmon swimming in still water jumps out of the water with velocity 5.87 m/s at 46.5° above the horizontal, sails through the air a distance L before returning to the water, and then swims the same distance L underwater in a straight, horizontal line with velocity 3.67 m/s before jumping out again.
(a) Determine the average velocity of the fish for the entire process of jumping and swimming underwater.
___________m/s

(b) Consider the time interval required to travel the entire distance of 2L. By what percentage is this time interval reduced by the jumping/swimming process compared with simply swimming underwater at 3.67 m/s?
_________%

Homework Equations

V_avg =( x_1+x_2 )/ 2 , ΔX=V_x*t, Δy=V_oy+(1/2)a_y(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

A) I got 5.86 m/s by finding the velocities of both parts (8.08m/s for the jump, 3.67m/s for the underwater part), adding them together and dividing by two, to get an average.
B) I got 45.5% by finding...looking at my notes I have no clue how I got that. I apologize, but I have no clue what I did, and no clue how to do it correctly. Sorry for being a bum on this part:(

Physics news on Phys.org
DatAshe said:
This question has me puzzled, I only have a little bit of a clue of how to do this. Any and all help is greatly appreciated:)

Homework Statement

Chinook salmon are able to move through water especially fast by jumping out of the water periodically. This behavior is called porpoising. Suppose a salmon swimming in still water jumps out of the water with velocity 5.87 m/s at 46.5° above the horizontal, sails through the air a distance L before returning to the water, and then swims the same distance L underwater in a straight, horizontal line with velocity 3.67 m/s before jumping out again.
(a) Determine the average velocity of the fish for the entire process of jumping and swimming underwater.
___________m/s

(b) Consider the time interval required to travel the entire distance of 2L. By what percentage is this time interval reduced by the jumping/swimming process compared with simply swimming underwater at 3.67 m/s?
_________%

Homework Equations

V_avg =( x_1+x_2 )/ 2 , ΔX=V_x*t, Δy=V_oy+(1/2)a_y(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

A) I got 5.86 m/s by finding the velocities of both parts (8.08m/s for the jump, 3.67m/s for the underwater part), adding them together and dividing by two, to get an average.
B) I got 45.5% by finding...looking at my notes I have no clue how I got that. I apologize, but I have no clue what I did, and no clue how to do it correctly. Sorry for being a bum on this part:(

Given that it left the water with a speed of 5.67 m/s, I am not sure how you calculated a velocity of 8.08 m/s ?

Also, the way you averaged the velocities is concerning.

SUppose the "jump phase" took 1 second, while the swim phase took 1 minute, the average velocity would be much closed to the swim velocity.

Average velocity is total displacement divided by total time. You would need to calculate the displacement and time for each part of the journey.

1. What is a Chinook Salmon?

A Chinook Salmon, also known as a King Salmon, is a type of fish found in the Pacific Ocean and its tributaries. They are highly prized for their large size and delicious taste.

2. What is the swimming pattern of Chinook Salmon?

Chinook Salmon have a unique swimming pattern, known as an "S-shaped" or "undulating" motion. This allows them to move quickly and efficiently through the water, even against strong currents.

3. How fast can Chinook Salmon swim?

Chinook Salmon are known for their speed, and can swim up to 10-12 miles per hour during their migrations. However, they typically swim at a slower pace of 3-5 miles per hour to conserve energy.

4. What factors influence the swimming pattern of Chinook Salmon?

The swimming pattern of Chinook Salmon is influenced by several factors, including water temperature, water depth, and the presence of obstacles such as rocks or dams. They also use their sense of smell to navigate towards their spawning grounds.

5. How do scientists study the swimming pattern of Chinook Salmon?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the swimming pattern of Chinook Salmon, including tagging and tracking individual fish, underwater cameras, and acoustic telemetry. These methods provide valuable information about the behavior and movements of Chinook Salmon in their natural habitat.