1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choosing a major, ChemE or MatSci

1. Apr 25, 2012 #1
    Hey all,

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I couldn't seem to find it specifically. I recently transferred to a big name 4 year university with the intent to finish my undergrad degree in chemical engineering. I have to admit, I originally had bought into the U.S. News college rankings hype and that is one of a few reasons I chose the school I'm at. Anyway, I took some of the chem e classes and just really didn't enjoy them much, and actually like the mat sci classes I'm taking much better. The thing is our school is ranked quite a bit higher for chemical engineering than it is for materials science and engineering. Do these rankings really matter that much? Could it potentially be damaging to my future career by switching? Does anyone have any experience with anything like this in industry? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Mike

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rankings don't matter much, IMO.

What are your plans for after your bachelor's - work or grad school?

4. Apr 27, 2012 #3
    I haven't really figured that out yet. I am a career change student, 28 years old. I would love to continue my education and go to grad school but I'm going to just wait and see what the financial situation looks like when the time comes. I still have 2 years to go for the bachelor's. In your opinion, is an advanced degree needed for either of those majors?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook