Choosing electives with B.Sc. Physics Honours - Maths and ....?

In summary: I have a very hard time memorising name reactions and conversions in high school, and I am willing to leave the subject at any cost.In summary, college electives are a problem because not all colleges have choices, and you may have to study maths or chemistry if you get a chance in one of the last categories.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I recently passed high school, and have applied to a number of colleges for B.Sc. I will study Physics Hons.

Now, I have a problem with choosing electives. Obviously, Maths is compulsory with physics, so I don't have a choice there. But for the second elective, I may have a choice. "May" because not all colleges have choices.

The system is, in the 3-year B.Sc. degree, I have to study maths for the second and third semesters, and something else for the first and fourth. No electives in the 3rd year (fifth and sixth semesters).

Basically my dislike towards chemistry is at the same level at which I love physics. I had a very hard time memorising name reactions and conversions in high school, and I am willing to leave the subject at any cost. In addition, I spoke to a few professors in different institutions (not the ones I have applied to), and they assured me that chemistry won't be required for higher studies in physics.

Some of the colleges that I have applied to have Computer Science as an alternative, so those will not be a problem (I had Computer Science in high school as well). In some others, there is no choice but chemistry, so I have nothing to there. But in few, they are offering Statistics and Geological Sciences (GS) as alternatives to Chemistry.

Say I got a chance in any of the colleges in the last category. Now, I have no experience in Statistics or GS. I have read some stats in high school, but that was merely standing on the shore, with the waves washing my feet. Can anyone give an approximate idea about what I would have to study in these subjects? Maybe recommend some books too, so that I can check out the syllabus and difficulty level? Actually I am looking forward to choosing an elective where I don't have to spend a lot of time, and also not memorise a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you give chemistry a shot? University chemistry is not the same thing as high school chemistry, and you really can't judge it without having followed one course. Also, any physicist should have some basic chemistry understanding imo. I don't see why these professors would say that you don't need it...

Math_QED said:
Why don't you give chemistry a shot? University chemistry is not the same thing as high school chemistry, and you really can't judge it without having followed one course. Also, any physicist should have some basic chemistry understanding imo. I don't see why these professors would say that you don't need it...
If you say so, I will try it out. Actually, if you teach Quantum chemistry and spectroscopy only, I will be the first one to join the courses. But if you give me a white salt and ask me to do a salt analysis, or ask me to write down name reactions, I will be the first one to flee the ground. Basically, I have been so passionately studying QM these months that I have almost forgotten chemistry. Recently had to sit for an admission test where I was "supposed" to answer Chemistry along with Physics (application would have been canceled if I didn't appear for chemistry). I almost slept throughout that 1.5 hours, and submitted an (almost) empty OMR.

1. What are the benefits of choosing electives with B.Sc. Physics Honours - Maths and ....?

Choosing electives with B.Sc. Physics Honours - Maths and .... can provide a well-rounded education in the field of physics, with a strong emphasis on mathematical concepts. This can lead to a deeper understanding of the subject and better problem-solving skills.

2. What are some popular electives to pair with B.Sc. Physics Honours - Maths and ....?

Some popular electives to pair with B.Sc. Physics Honours - Maths and .... include astronomy, computer science, and engineering. These courses can complement the mathematical and theoretical aspects of physics and provide practical applications.

3. Can I choose electives from other departments with B.Sc. Physics Honours - Maths and ....?

Yes, most universities allow students to choose electives from other departments as long as they meet the requirements and have the necessary prerequisites. This can provide a diverse and interdisciplinary education.

4. How can electives with B.Sc. Physics Honours - Maths and .... benefit my career?

Electives with B.Sc. Physics Honours - Maths and .... can enhance critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, which are highly valued in many industries. It can also open up career opportunities in fields such as research, data analysis, and engineering.

5. Are there any specific electives that are recommended for students with B.Sc. Physics Honours - Maths and ....?

While there are no specific electives that are recommended, it is important to choose courses that align with your interests and career goals. It may also be beneficial to consult with academic advisors or faculty members for guidance on selecting electives that complement your major.