Choosing the Right Ph.D. Group: Tips for Non-Academic Research Careers

  • Topic: Programs 
  • Thread starter Thread starter dctyl3ee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Group Ph.d Ph.d.
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
dctyl3ee
I have a dilemma. I'm beginning a fellowship next week, and I have 3 Ph.D. offers for when it ends. I've worked in each group, and would have no issue continuing in any of them. I respect each advisor equally for different reasons. The main problem is each group requires a slightly different academic track. I have one week to decide. The only determining factor is which one is the most reasonable for a career in non-academic research. I'm working on wireless power transfer in one group. The other I'm working on FLIM, excitonics, and integrated photonics. The final offer is in electromagnetic and photonic metamaterials. Will I have any issues finding a job in any of these areas? I know it's probably not a question anyone else can answer, but I would really appreciate any advice or insight that anyone has to offer. Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered asking the advisors of each what the graduates of that group went on to do? Or perhaps it is on the group website or some such.
 
In all likelihood, you will be able to find work in any of these area when you finish. You don't need the probability of a job, bur in fact, you really only want one job. More than one is no help (since you probably cannot handle more than one full time job on an life-time basis), and a low probability does not mean there are no jobs, only that they are scarce.

The bigger factor, I think, is what do you want to do? Think hard on this, and go where your interest takes you.