Christofle symbol and determinant of metric tensor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 9K views
off-diagonal
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Hi, every one I'm newbie here. I have a few problem with my study about GR.
Here's a problem

[tex]\partial_a(g^{ad})g_{cd}-\partial_d(g^{ad})g_{ac}=\\0[/tex]


Could I prove these relation by change index (in 1st term ) from a -> d and also d -> a?

and let's defined [tex]{g}=det{\\g_{ab}\\}[/tex]



[tex]{g^{ab}}\partial_c(\\g_{ab})=\frac{1}{g} \partial_c(\\g)[/tex]

How I prove these equation ? Any one got an idea?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
off-diagonal said:
Could I prove these relation by change index (in 1st term ) from a -> d and also d -> a?
Yes. (You also have to use that the metric is a symmetric tensor: [itex]g_{ab}=g_{ba}[/itex]).

off-diagonal said:
[tex]{g^{ab}}\partial_c(\\g_{ab})=\frac{1}{g} \partial_c(\\g)[/tex]

How I prove these equation ? Any one got an idea?
I haven't given much thought to this specific identity, but the only time I proved an identity involving the determinant of the metric, I had to use this crap.
 
off-diagonal said:
and let's defined [tex]{g}=det{\\g_{ab}\\}[/tex]



[tex]{g^{ab}}\partial_c(\\g_{ab})=\frac{1}{g} \partial_c(\\g)[/tex]

How I prove these equation ? Any one got an idea?

By definition [itex]\sqrt{-g}[/itex] is a tensor density of weight one. As a consequence of this and the fact that the covariant derivative of the metric is zero, one has the result

[tex]\nabla_a\sqrt{-g} = \partial_a\sqrt{-g} - \Gamma^b_{\phantom{b}ab}\sqrt{-g} = 0[/tex]

It's trivial to go from here to the result you want to prove.