Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CHSH and the triangle inequality

1. May 4, 2012 #1
    Hello everybody,

I've been trying to understand the CHSH proof as it is listed on Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHSH_inequality

I got to this without any problem:
    [itex]E(a, b) - E(a, b^\prime) = \int \underline {A}(a, \lambda)\underline {B}(b, \lambda)[1 \pm \underline {A}(a^\prime, \lambda)\underline {B}(b^\prime, \lambda)]\rho(\lambda)d\lambda - \int \underline {A}(a, \lambda)\underline {B}(b^\prime, \lambda)[1 \pm \underline {A}(a^\prime, \lambda)\underline {B}(b, \lambda)]\rho(\lambda)d\lambda[/itex]

However, now it mentions two things to get to the next step:
    - The fact that [itex][1 \pm \underline {A}(a^\prime, \lambda)\underline {B}(b^\prime, \lambda)]\rho(\lambda)[/itex] and [itex][1 \pm \underline {A}(a^\prime, \lambda)\underline {B}(b, \lambda)]\rho(\lambda)[/itex] are non-negative (easy enough to see).
    - The triangle inequality "to both sides" (how?)

And the next equation is:
    [itex]|E(a, b) - E(a, b^\prime)| \leq \int [1 \pm \underline {A}(a^\prime, \lambda)\underline {B}(b^\prime, \lambda)]\rho(\lambda)d\lambda + \int [1 \pm \underline {A}(a^\prime, \lambda)\underline {B}(b, \lambda)]\rho(\lambda)d\lambda[/itex]

I don't understand how it gets to this last equation from the one before. Could somebody please explain?

Thanks in advance,
    Gespex

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2012 #2
    So you have:
    [itex]E(a, b) - E(a, b^\prime) = \int \underline {A}(a, \lambda)\underline {B}(b, \lambda)[1 \pm \underline {A}(a^\prime, \lambda)\underline {B}(b^\prime, \lambda)]\rho(\lambda)d\lambda - \int \underline {A}(a, \lambda)\underline {B}(b^\prime, \lambda)[1 \pm \underline {A}(a^\prime, \lambda)\underline {B}(b, \lambda)]\rho(\lambda)d\lambda[/itex]

Taking absolute value of both sides
    [itex]|E(a, b) - E(a, b^\prime)| = |\int \underline {A}(a, \lambda)\underline {B}(b, \lambda)[1 \pm \underline {A}(a^\prime, \lambda)\underline {B}(b^\prime, \lambda)]\rho(\lambda)d\lambda - \int \underline {A}(a, \lambda)\underline {B}(b^\prime, \lambda)[1 \pm \underline {A}(a^\prime, \lambda)\underline {B}(b, \lambda)]\rho(\lambda)d\lambda|[/itex]

Using [itex]|A \pm B| \le |A| + |B|[/itex]:

[itex]|E(a, b) - E(a, b^\prime)| \le |\int \underline {A}(a, \lambda)\underline {B}(b, \lambda)[1 \pm \underline {A}(a^\prime, \lambda)\underline {B}(b^\prime, \lambda)]\rho(\lambda)d\lambda| + |\int \underline {A}(a, \lambda)\underline {B}(b^\prime, \lambda)[1 \pm \underline {A}(a^\prime, \lambda)\underline {B}(b, \lambda)]\rho(\lambda)d\lambda|[/itex]

Then using [itex]| \int f(x) dx | \le \int |f(x)| dx[/itex], (which, if you think of it, is just a variation of the above):

[itex]|E(a, b) - E(a, b^\prime)| \le \int |\underline {A}(a, \lambda)\underline {B}(b, \lambda)[1 \pm \underline {A}(a^\prime, \lambda)\underline {B}(b^\prime, \lambda)]\rho(\lambda) | d\lambda + \int |\underline {A}(a, \lambda)\underline {B}(b^\prime, \lambda)[1 \pm \underline {A}(a^\prime, \lambda)\underline {B}(b, \lambda)]\rho(\lambda)|d\lambda[/itex]

And since [itex]|\underline {A}(a, \lambda)\underline {B}(b, \lambda)|=1[/itex], and both [itex]1 \pm \underline {A}(a^\prime, \lambda)\underline {B}(b^\prime, \lambda) \ge 0[/itex] and [itex]\rho(\lambda) \ge 0[/itex], we get:

[itex]|E(a, b) - E(a, b^\prime)| \leq \int [1 \pm \underline {A}(a^\prime, \lambda)\underline {B}(b^\prime, \lambda)]\rho(\lambda)d\lambda + \int [1 \pm \underline {A}(a^\prime, \lambda)\underline {B}(b, \lambda)]\rho(\lambda)d\lambda[/itex]

4. May 5, 2012 #3
    Thanks a lot! The proof's easy enough to follow like that. But this statement seems to me to contradict Wikipedia (though it's probably just my ignorance):
    [itex]|\underline {A}(a, \lambda)\underline {B}(b, \lambda)|=1[/itex]

As Wikipedia says "Since the possible values of A and B are −1, 0 and +1". So couldn't it also be that [itex]|\underline {A}(a, \lambda)\underline {B}(b, \lambda)|=0[/itex]?

It also says "where [itex]\underline {A}[/itex] and [itex]\underline {B}[/itex] are the average values of the outcomes", so not just -1, 0 or 1, but any value from -1 to 1, which would mean only that: [itex]0 \le |\underline {A}(a, \lambda)\underline {B}(b, \lambda)|\le 1[/itex]

Or am I missing something here?

5. May 5, 2012 #4
    Oh, I'm sorry, you are right of course, it should have been [itex] |\underline {A}(a, \lambda)\underline {B}(b, \lambda)| \le 1[/itex]. It does not change anything though.

6. May 5, 2012 #5
    Oops, yeah, good point. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook