Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Churches to challenge tax exemption law - separation of church and state

Tags:
  1. Sep 8, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/08/politics/animal/main4424757.shtml

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2008 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whoops, I forgot to make a statement. :biggrin:

To be blunt, I see people who promote such ideas as anti-American, by definition. Many extreme-right churches have already become defacto political organizations. It seems clear to me that the latest is a blatent attempt to further this cause.

4. Sep 8, 2008 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You MUST be kidding!!!!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5000672

Yeah, this is all about extreme-right churches...

5. Sep 8, 2008 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In that event, let the chips fall where they may, but I have been complaining about the extreme right churches in this regard for years. I also get sick of the Catholics, who are not extreme right, promoting illegal immigration.

But let's see who is really on the bandwagon. This is an extreme-right issue if there ever was one.

6. Sep 8, 2008 #5
    I'm not an IRS fan, but I hope they enter the pew of these churches, when the money gets collected, and take a piece of the action. Extreme right, or extreme left, and anything in between, god has no place in the politics of man.

7. Sep 8, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

I lived in a small city once (Waterville, ME, and it is geographically tiny compared to outlying towns) in which a huge proportion of the property was owned by churches and colleges, and was tax-exempt. My wife and I rented a small apartment there because it was convenient to stores, work, etc, and she did not yet have a driver's license. The property taxes are brutal in that city, and the population is aging rapidly because younger people cannot afford to buy homes there and pay the property taxes.

I would love to see the city be able to tax income-earning properties owned by private colleges and churches, but that won't happen in my life-time.

8. Sep 8, 2008 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm all for forcing a showdown on this law: I'll trade you some right wing churches for some left wing "environmentalist" groups any day. It's about time for PETA, Greenpeace, and the Sierra Club to lose their tax exemptions.

9. Sep 8, 2008 #8

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Are you suggesting that politics are not part of some intelligent design?

10. Sep 8, 2008 #9

turbo

Gold Member

I'm with you on this one, Russ. There are all kinds of organizations that are either religious, educational, and/or manage to incorporate under some kind of public advocacy mantle (left, right, I don't care) that funnel huge amounts of cash around and don't contribute to the welfare of the society that allows and protects their existence.

11. Sep 8, 2008 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why? What have they done to violate their tax exempt status?

Churches are allowed to push social agendas.

You don't believe in the separation of Church and State?

12. Sep 8, 2008 #11

turbo

Gold Member

I believe that churches should not be able to force their doctrines onto others. I also believe that churches benefit from the protections of our governments (national, regional, local) and should help pay for the maintenance of those governments. Cut it any way you will, churches are businesses, and they haul in a lot of money selling "salvation", "comfort", etc - all intangibles with no up-front costs. The best performances that I have ever seen from churches involved community activism, in which parishes banded together to help people survive being burned out of their home, or help revive a badly-needed local program that benefited locals. The "charity" outreaches of some churches are laughable. When I was a kid in the '50's and '60's, the Roman Catholic church sent a steady stream of missionary preachers through our town begging us (immigrant Catholic French-Canadian families) for money for poor South American and African churches. At the very same time, the church was sending fund-raising creeps through the heavily French-Canadian towns of New Haven, Hartford, East Hartford, etc, begging for money for our "poor" churches in Maine that couldn't afford to replace furnaces, repair roofs, etc. It was a real eye-opener for a young teen, and once I figured it out, I never went back.

13. Sep 8, 2008 #12
    Isn't the partisan political arms of those environmental groups non-tax exempt? I thought it was only the educational and cultural sections that are tax exempt. It is the same way with churches, they can endorse an issue (like anti-abortion) but not a candidate. I don't believe there is any real difference in the way a church is treated and how the Sierra Club is treated.

Russ, I don't think you want the political arms of Sierra Club to become tax exempt. That is what you are asking for if this is tested and the churches win.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?