1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion and linear speed of an object

1. Dec 3, 2006 #1
    An object is traveling around a circle with the radius of 5cm. If in 20sec the central angle of 1/3 radian is swept out, what is the angular speed of the object? Linear speed?

Here's how I did it. angular speed-->
    a) omega=theta(in radians)/elapsed time
    = π/3/20= π/3*1/20 = π/60 radians/sec. Is that the same as the answer in the book, 1/60?

linear speed-->
    b) v=rw (length/radius)(omega=angular speed)
    =5cm*(1/60)= 1/12 cm/s
    the answer in the book is 12m/s.

what did I do wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2006 #2
    Where did you get the n from? You went 1/3 radian in 20 seconds. To get the radian speed just find the distance traveled in one second. The book is right.

If it really was 12 m/s it would have gone around the circle about 60 times in 20 seconds since the length of the circumference is 2 * pi * radius or .314 m. So the book is wrong. You are wrong too. Remember a radian is radius / arch distance. So r/s = 1/3 in 20 seconds. Once you have arch distance traveled in 20 seconds, finding linear speed is easy.

4. Dec 4, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

interested learner, I don't think it was "n", it was [itex]\pi[/itex] using an overly simple font.

ragbash, your problem says "1/3 radian". For some reason you used "[itex]\pi/3[/itex] radians.

No, [itex]\pi/3[/itex] is not the same as 1/3!

The circumference of a circle is [itex]2\pi r[/itex] or, since r= 5 here, [itex]10\pi[/itex] cm. Since the object moves 1/60 radian/sec and there are [itex]2\pi[/itex]radians in a circle, it is moving at [itex]\frac{1}{120\pi}[/itex] "circles per second" and so [itex]\frac{1}{120\pi}(10\pi)= 1/12[itex] cm/sec.
    Your book apparently has a typo for the second.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?