Circular motion and tension of a stone problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tension in a string at the top and bottom of a vertical circle, as well as the maximum speed the stone can have before the string breaks. The equations used are FC=mv^2/r and ft=FC+fg, and the attempted solutions for tension at the top and maximum speed are 48.6N and 10.04m/s respectively. However, the actual answers are 9.62m/s for maximum speed and an unknown value for tension at the top. The conversation also mentions using the X2 and X2 buttons above the Reply box for formatting purposes.
Coco12
1. Homework Statement [/b]

A stone mass 284g is twirled at a constant speed 12.4m/s in a vertical circle of radius 0.850m. Find the tension in the string at the top and at the bottom of the revolution. What is the maximum speed the stone can have if the string will break when the tension reaches 33.7N

Homework Equations

FC=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve for tension in the bottom: ft=FC+fg

I thought for the tension at the top: ft=fg

However when I plugged in the info, did not get the ans: 48.6N

Also for the maximum speed, I use the centripetal force formula- and manipulated it to get v=sqrt 33.7N*.850m/.284kg to get 10.04m/s
However the ans is 9.62??

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Coco12! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 buttons just above the Reply box :wink:)
Coco12 said:
I know how to solve for tension in the bottom: ft=FC+fg

Yes, but why? :wink:

(apply the same reasoning to the top)

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path or trajectory. It involves the object continuously changing direction while maintaining a constant speed.

2. How is circular motion related to tension?

In circular motion problems, tension is often a force that acts on the object to keep it moving in a circular path. This tension force is directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for the centripetal acceleration of the object.

3. What factors affect the tension in a circular motion problem?

The tension in a circular motion problem is affected by the mass of the object, the speed of the object, and the radius of the circular path. An increase in any of these factors will result in a greater tension force needed to maintain the circular motion.

4. How do you calculate the tension in a circular motion problem?

The tension in a circular motion problem can be calculated using the formula T = mv²/r, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. Can tension ever be greater than the weight of the object in a circular motion problem?

Yes, tension can be greater than the weight of the object in a circular motion problem. This is because the tension force is not only responsible for supporting the weight of the object, but also for providing the necessary centripetal acceleration to maintain the circular motion.