1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion: find velocity with angle, mass, and radius

1. Feb 21, 2015 #1
    This was a homework problem; after five tries, I still did not get it, and I can't figure out how to get at the answer the assignment gave me. I could not find the answer anywhere that didn't get into angular velocity, which we are not at yet (and also did not give me the answer!).

1. Problem

How fast do you need to swing a 200-g ball at the end of a string in a horizontal circle of 0.6-m radius so that the string makes a 34∘ angle relative to the horizontal?

So we have:
    mass: 0.2-kg (200-g)
    radius: 0.6-m
    angle: 34∘

2. Relevant equations
    I have tried:
    tan(34) = vy/vx, but that just got me dv, which was no help without time or period

tan(34) = v^2/r*g; this was wrong (and also did not take mass into account)

s = (v^2*sin(2*34))/g; I used the radius for s, which was a long shot, although this answer got me the closest (2.52 m/s)

m*(v^2/r) = +m*g + (-F), using grav in F=ma. obviously the acceleration was no gravity of Earth.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The answer is apparently v=2.95 m/s

I have absolutely no idea how they got to this answer! I used any relevant-looking solution in the chapter this problem is from, I searched the web (including these forums), and no one else's problem had the solution. What was I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2015 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

If the ball travels in a horizontal circle, what is the net vertical force on the ball? What is the net horizontal force? What forces are acting on the ball? (What would a FBD look like?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted