1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion - Satellites Problem

1. Apr 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two satellites of equal mass, S1 and S2, orbit the earth. S1 is orbiting at a distance r from the earth's center at speed v. S2 orbits at a distance 2r from the earth's center at speed (v/squareroot2) . The ratio of the centripetal force on S1 to the centripetal force on S2 is,

A. 1/8

B. 1/4

C. 4

D. 8

2. Relevant equations

F = mvsqrd/r

3. The attempt at a solution

I just couldn't figure this one out at all... its frustrating, i tried playing around with the equation but i kept getting nonsense.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You have the correct equation. Show what you did to find F_1 and F_2 (the two centripetal forces).
  4. Apr 30, 2007 #3
    Ok. So since the mass is equal its constant, so we just have

F = Vsquared/r

So then, S1 = Vsquared/r

S2 = (v/squareroot2)squared/2r
    = (vsquared/2)/2r
    = (2vsquared*r)/2

S1 = Vsquared/r

S2 = (2vsquared*r)/2

Hmm.. so now?
  5. Apr 30, 2007 #4
    Ultimately, that's all you need, but it would be more correct to leave the mass in until the very end.

Correcct until [tex]F_{S2}=m\frac{\frac{v^2}{2}}{2r}[/tex]
    Then you have an algebra error.

The problem asks you to take calculate a ratio, ie, divide one of the forces by the other. (Incidentally, that's why you can leave the mass in until the very end: both forces have the term 'm' so the masses cancel).
  6. Apr 30, 2007 #5
    Oh, yeah, algebra got me there.

So it'd have to then be:

[tex] S2 = {\frac{v^2}{4r}}[/tex]

Ah, so now it gives me a much simpler division to do. When i divide those S1/S2 after multiplying and cancelling i get 4r/r.

Awesome, so the answer is 4. Thanks for pointing out the algebra mistake.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?