1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion with constant angular acceleration

1. Sep 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An object travels counterclockwise on a circular path with radius R and constant angular
    acceleration α , so that

vector r(t) = R cos(αt^2/2) i^+ R sin(αt^2/2) j^

2. Relevant equations

b. Find the time T when the object made a single revolution and returned to its
    original position. Evaluate vectors r, v, and a at both t = 0 and t = T.
    c. Show by computation that at t = T, the acceleration vector is the sum of
    a part parallel to the velocity vector with magnitude dv/dt , and a part perpendicular to the
    velocity vector with magnitude v^2/R

3. The attempt at a solution

I am calculating based on the fact that the object will travel a distance of 2πR at the time it made a revolution, but it doesn't work !

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2013 #2
    A revolution brings the object where it was originally. Express that mathematically.

4. Sep 22, 2013 #3
    I am sorry I really don't know how to express that mathematically. I have just calculate its speed to be Rαt but I can not make an equation because the object has an increasing acceleration (because its angular accel is constant). This is quite new to me.

5. Sep 22, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, take your equation for r(t) from the OP.

What are the coordinates for the object at time t = 0?

At time t = T, you will have these same coordinates. Knowing that sine and cosine are periodic functions, use this fact to figure out what T must be to return the object to its original position.

6. Sep 22, 2013 #5
    r(t) that you were given is the position of the object. As one revolution brings the object where it started from, you should have r(0) = r(T).

7. Sep 22, 2013 #6
    Oh thank you SteamKing and Voko I know how to do it now. My problem is that I was stuck with the idea that the magnitude of r(t) is always R so I thought I must use another equation rather than r(t). Thanks a ton!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted