Cis-trans Selectivity in Wittig Reactions

• Thread starter brettlawrie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactions
In summary, the cis isomer in Wittig reactions is typically not favored due to its less favorable transition state arrangement, which is caused by steric hindrance and less delocalization. This explains why the trans isomer is usually produced over the cis isomer.
brettlawrie
With regards to Wittig reactions, how does one know whether the cis or trans isomer is favoured? More specifically, can cis-stilbene be prepared in the attached Wittig reaction? Experimentally, the trans isomer was recovered.

I realize that trans isomers are generally more stable, but am confused as to why certain isomers are produced over their counterpart.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• Wittig Reaction Example.png
    Wittig Reaction Example.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 1,125
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Make a model of that transition state... the one shown on the lower right. The cis isomer would require the phenyl groups to arrange themselves in a certain way in that structure. Do you think that would be favorable?

chemisttree said:
Make a model of that transition state... the one shown on the lower right. The cis isomer would require the phenyl groups to arrange themselves in a certain way in that structure. Do you think that would be favorable?

First of all, thank you for your help. I've taken your lead (see attachment) and I am lead to believe that the cis transition state arrangements are not favourable. I am still not precisely sure why though (I have never gotten a good grasp of stability/stereochemistry/whatever word describes the genre of this problem).

Having all those big phenyl groups close together on the cis (A), cis (B), and even trans (B) diagrams in my attachment can't be good though...I've got a feeling my question has something to do with steric hindrance or delocalization. If so, could you help me understand how an isomer being sterically hindered or less delocalized makes these isomers less stable?

Attachments

• Wittig Intermediate.png
    Wittig Intermediate.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 713

1. What is cis-trans selectivity in Wittig reactions?

Cis-trans selectivity in Wittig reactions refers to the preference of a reactant to form either the cis or trans isomer in the final product. This selectivity is determined by the steric and electronic properties of the reactants and the reaction conditions.

2. How is cis-trans selectivity controlled in Wittig reactions?

The cis-trans selectivity in Wittig reactions can be controlled by varying the steric bulk of the reactants and the reaction conditions. For example, using a bulkier phosphine reagent can favor the formation of the trans isomer, while using a less bulky phosphine reagent can favor the formation of the cis isomer.

3. What factors influence the cis-trans selectivity in Wittig reactions?

The steric and electronic properties of the reactants, the reaction temperature, and the solvent used can all influence the cis-trans selectivity in Wittig reactions. Additionally, the presence of neighboring functional groups or substituents can also affect the selectivity.

4. Why is cis-trans selectivity important in Wittig reactions?

Cis-trans selectivity is important in Wittig reactions because it determines the stereochemistry of the final product. In some cases, the cis and trans isomers can have different physical and chemical properties, making selectivity crucial for obtaining the desired product.

5. How can the cis-trans selectivity in Wittig reactions be optimized?

To optimize the cis-trans selectivity in Wittig reactions, it is important to carefully select the reactants and reaction conditions. Additionally, performing the reaction in the presence of a chiral catalyst or using a chiral auxiliary can also improve the selectivity. Pre-screening reactions on a small scale can also help to determine the optimal conditions for achieving high selectivity.