Elimination vs substitution & ethanol as a solvent

In summary, ethanol is more conducive to elimination reactions than substitution reactions, it mentions it being less polar than water, which favours substitution. This is because the carbocation is more stable in ethanol than it is in water, and elimination reactions have a lower activation energy than substitution reactions.
nobahar
Hello!
I was looking into haloalkane reactions and the factors which determine the proportion of nucleophilic substitution to elimination reactions. I read that ethanol is more conducive to elimination reactions than substitution reactions, it mentions it being less polar than water, which favours substitution. I also read that SN1 are favoured over SN2 reactions as the ethanol can stabilise the carbocation. However, I can't find a source that explains why ethanol favours elimination, it must be to do with the 'extent' of polarity of the molecule.

Is it because the polarity of the molecule influences the stability of the carbocation, and as water is more polar, the carbocation is more stable and therefore substitution is favoured as the carbocation can exist for a longer period of time?

I appreciate that is insufficient an explanation on it's own. So, taking into consideration the activation energy, and that subsitiution has a lower activation energy, these two factors can be combined to produce an explanation:

Subsitution is favoured in highly polar solvents as the carbocation is more stable and therefiore exists for longer, and as the ativaiton energy is lower, it is more likely to be achieved than elimination. In less polar solvents, the carbocation is less stable, and therefore elimination is more liekly to occur, even though it has a higher activation energy, the carbocation intermediate is going to be somewhat 'rare'.

It seems confusing, as the classification (primary, secondary and tertiary) keeps popping up, and begs to be included!

Any help appreciated, apologies that its quite long, an attempt seemed necessary.
Many thanks,
Nobahar.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your confusion is partly due to not understanding the rest of the problem. Under what conditions are you examining these two pathways? Strong acid? How strong an acid can you have in water? Anything stronger than H3O+? How about in ethanol? The strength of the acid is critical as well. Your substrate is important too. Primary alkyl halides almost always undergo substitution unless really strong acid is used. Secondary alkyl halides undergo a mix of elimination and substitution and if there is a beta tertiary carbon... you get the picture.

Mnay thanks for the response chemisttree.
I appreciate that the other factors will have an influence, it is the various contirbuting factors that make it all the more difficult to grasp. If possible, evaluating the solvent on the basis of its own contirbution, is the statement correct? Although what reaction is favoured, and thus what products are produced, is a consequence of all the various influencing factors, if I hold all constant at some value, which may favour one mechanism or the other (elimination or substitution), by varying the solvent can I conclude that: using increasingly more polar solvents, the amount of reagent undergoing a subsitution reaction will increase; regardless of whether or not it is the most commonly occurring mechanism in the reaction?

I apologise, this wasn't exactly my last question. But I would appreciate any further responses.
Many thanks,
Nobahar.

Any further input would be much appreciated; and verification on the above?
Many thanks,
Nobahar.

You are likely contrasting the two unimolecular pathways, E1 and Sn1. In both of these pathways the first step is the generation of the carbocation. This occurs independent of the nature of the solvents water and ethanol. The next step, however, is all about the solvent. The carbocation is stabilized in both cases and exists as an ion pair between the newly-formed cation and the halide leaving group. This ion pair is closer together in the case of ethanol than in the case for water since water can form a slightly more stable separated ion pair (with water separating them). Thus water itself can become the nucleophile and lead to the substituted product since it has better access to the carbonium ion and the ion pair is more completely separated. In the case for ethanol, the ion pair is closer together or more tightly bound and recombination can more easily occur or elimination if that's possible. I have references if you want to read it for yourself but the discussion deals more with t-butyl halides but the arguments and logic apply.

1. What is the difference between elimination and substitution reactions?

Elimination and substitution reactions are two different types of organic reactions. Elimination reactions involve the removal of a functional group from a molecule, while substitution reactions involve the replacement of one functional group with another. In elimination reactions, a double bond or triple bond is formed, while in substitution reactions, a single bond is formed.

2. How does ethanol act as a solvent in organic reactions?

Ethanol is a polar solvent that is commonly used in organic reactions. It has the ability to dissolve a wide range of organic compounds due to its polar hydroxyl group (OH). It also has a relatively low boiling point, making it easy to remove from the reaction mixture. Ethanol is also relatively non-toxic and inexpensive, making it a popular choice as a solvent in organic chemistry.

3. What factors influence whether an elimination or substitution reaction will occur?

The type of reaction that occurs depends on several factors, including the nature of the substrate, the strength of the nucleophile, and the steric hindrance of the reaction. Generally, elimination reactions are favored when the substrate is bulky and the nucleophile is weak, while substitution reactions are favored when the substrate is small and the nucleophile is strong. Steric hindrance, or the presence of bulky groups near the reaction site, can also affect the reaction outcome.

4. Are there any limitations to using ethanol as a solvent in organic reactions?

While ethanol is a commonly used solvent in organic reactions, it does have some limitations. It is not suitable for reactions that require anhydrous conditions, as ethanol readily absorbs water. It may also not be suitable for reactions that require high temperatures, as ethanol has a low boiling point. Additionally, ethanol can sometimes react with the substrate or product, leading to unwanted side reactions.

5. Can ethanol be substituted with other solvents in organic reactions?

Yes, ethanol can be substituted with other solvents in organic reactions. Some common alternatives to ethanol include methanol, acetone, and acetonitrile. The choice of solvent depends on the specific requirements of the reaction and the properties of the reactants and products. It is important to carefully consider the solvent choice in order to achieve the desired reaction outcome.