1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Clarification about Fractal Dimensions

1. Dec 15, 2017 #1
    Hi there, so recently we had professor's assistant covering our class and he decided to talk about Fractal Dimensions. Maybe its just the concept or his explenation but we all left the class bewildered to say the least.

Could someone clarify for me, how do we refer to the number of dimensions? My understanding was always that they are uniform integers 1,2,3. Based on what my current comprehension is, we have 1-3 dimensions? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2017 #2

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Dec 16, 2017 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Fractal dimension can be fractional and applies to spaces which may not be quite either 1- , 2- or n-dimensional, but somehow somewhere in-between.

5. Dec 17, 2017 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The term fractal was coined by Benoit Mandelbrot in 1975, to express the concept of dimensions that could be fractional. Common geometric objects such as lines (dimension 1), planes (dimension 2), and spheres (dimension 3) have integral dimensions, but there are objects that have dimension somewhere between these integer values. Some examples are the Koch snowflake and Sierpinski carpet. The Koch snowflake is made up of line segments, but the snowflake itself is so convoluted that it can be thought of as filling an area. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted