Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical channel vs quantum channel

1. Jan 23, 2016 #1
    I have a hard time understanding what a channel that transmits classical information is in the framework of quantum information theory. My textbook says the following:

Let P(ylx) be a classical channel defined by a conditional probability distribution. We define the corresponding quantum channel by:

x,y (Tr lx><xlX)P(ylx)ly><yl

How should I interpret this formula and what is the role of the trace appearing? And in general what is a classical channel as opposed to a quantum channel? I guess the answer is that a classical channel can send definite states given by some probability distribution, while quantum channels are maps between states in general.

Another place in the book it states that a classical channel of two bits is of the form:
    C(X) = ∑i,j lij><ijl Tr lij><ijlX
    Is this equivalent with the first formula?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2016 #2

naima

Gold Member

Could you explain what is X in your question?
    Have you links to this subject?

4. Jan 27, 2016 #3

naima

Gold Member

The first thing which comes to my mind is that the trace of ##\rho X## is the mean value of X in the state ##\rho##
    Now if X is an operator it sends X to another operator. How can we describe it? What is the image of a projector |z><z|?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook