1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Mechanics by Kibble Berkshire

1. Nov 8, 2013 #1
    I was recommended this by a friend. I'm going to get K&K but I was wondering what you thought of this book if you have read it. Is it good for beginners? Comprehensive? General comments?

Thank you,

Tridian

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2013 #2
    Has anyone read it? Is it not very commonly used? It is used in Imperial College London where Kibble works and ICL is one if the top in the country so does that say anything?

4. Nov 9, 2013 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I've never read it, but judging from the reviews on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Classical-Me...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384027264&sr=1-1

it's not an introductory book, but rather intended for graduate or advanced senior-undergraduate level.

I would not consider it as a substitute for Halliday/Resnick or similar first-year physics textbooks, or even Kleppner/Kolenkow. Note that "upper-division CM" in the first quote refers to books on the level of Marion/Thornton or Fowles/Cassiday, which are commonly used for junior/senior year undergraduate CM courses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted