Classical versus quantum information

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum information and its relationship to classical information. The concept of a qubit as a superposition is mentioned, but confusion arises from the idea that quantum information can be retrieved as classical information. However, classical information can only be retrieved in whole units of bits, while quantum information can have non-integer amounts according to the Shannon definition. This leads to the conclusion that there can be, for example, 1.5 bits of quantum information. The conversation also mentions a source for further information, but not much additional insight is found.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I am a little confused at the description of quantum information, even though I more or less understand the concept of a qubit as being a superposition. That which confused me was a phrase saying that the quantum information is the classical information that can be retrieved. But one can only retrieve classical information in whole units of bits. On the other hand, using the Shannon definition, one can come up with an amount of information which is not a whole number of bits. In other words, can we say that there is, for example 1.5 bits of quantum information?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not much. I assume the answer to my explicit question is "yes", as I see that non-integer amounts of information come up in Chapter 11 of Nielsen & Chuang (Quantum Computation and Quantum Information), but this leaves the phrase "amount of classical information" a poor choice of words.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the difference between classical and quantum information?

Classical information refers to data that can be represented and processed using classical bits, which have two possible states (0 or 1). Quantum information, on the other hand, is represented by quantum bits (qubits) that can exist in multiple states simultaneously and exhibit quantum phenomena such as superposition and entanglement.

2. How does classical and quantum information affect computing?

In classical computing, information is processed using logical operations on classical bits. Quantum computing, on the other hand, makes use of quantum operations on qubits to perform calculations much faster and more efficiently for certain types of problems.

3. Can classical and quantum information be mixed together?

Yes, classical and quantum information can be combined in what is known as a hybrid system. This involves using classical computers to control and read information from quantum systems, allowing for the benefits of both classical and quantum information to be utilized.

4. Are there any limitations to classical and quantum information processing?

Classical information processing is limited by the number of bits that can be stored and processed. Quantum information processing faces challenges such as decoherence and errors in quantum operations, which can affect the accuracy of calculations.

5. What are some potential applications of quantum information?

Some potential applications of quantum information include quantum cryptography for secure communication, quantum simulation for studying complex systems, and quantum machine learning for more efficient data processing and analysis.