Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classification of Engineering drawings as per Standards

1. Jul 30, 2009 #1
    Hello,

What is Level 1 engineering drawing? What does it mean?

Is there any particular section dealing about classification of engineering drawings in ASME Y 14 series.

Please throw some light on this

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2
    Anyone, please share their knowledge

4. Oct 7, 2009 #3
  5. Oct 8, 2009 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I can't say I ever remember anything called "Level 1" type of drawing in any of the ASME Y14 series. I'll have to take another look through to make sure.

Perhaps it is in reference to an assembly level of a drawing. In other words, the most basic level is a part drawing. The next higher level could be a subassembly level, the next higher level another subassembly. The highest level being the top level assembly drawing.

6. Oct 10, 2009 #5
    Thanks Tyroman and FredGarvin.

As FredGarvin pointed out, it is not part of ASMEY14, but was mentioned in MIL standard.

7. Oct 10, 2009 #6
    In a nutshell: Level 1 – Conceptual and Developmental Design, Level 2 – Production Prototype and Limited Production, Level 3 - Production.
    In level 3 drawings, all of your i's must be dotted and t's crossed, with nothing left open to varying interpretations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook