Delete Old Revision Clouds on Drawings When Doing New Revisions?

In summary, the ASME standards do not specifically mention what to do with old revision clouds when adding a new revision to a drawing. However, it is common practice to remove old revision clouds during the As-built process to avoid clutter and confusion. The revision history should still be maintained and updated, and in some cases, old revision clouds may be necessary for liability reasons. Record copies of each revision should also be preserved according to engineering standards.
kkline116
TL;DR Summary
According to ASME, do you delete your old revisions clouds?
Hello,

I know I read this somewhere in ASME standards, but I can NOT, for the life of me, find it again.

I believe it says you're supposed to delete old revision clouds on a drawing when putting a new revision on the drawing.

I read Y14.35 "Revision of Engineering Drawings" 2 or 3 times and I checked Y14.1 Engineering Drawing Practices, Section 4.4 "Revisions of Engineering Drawings and Associated Lists", but can't find anything that says what we're supposed to do with old revision clouds when adding a new revision.

Does any know where I can find the ASME standard on what we're supposed to do here?

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might try Y14.100. Page 9 in the PDF:

1.1 Scope
This Standard establishes the essential requirements
and reference documents applicable to the preparation
and revision
of engineering drawings and associated
lists. It is essential that this Standard be used in close
conjunction with ASME Y14.24, ASME Y14.34M, and
ASME Y14.35M.
The Standard is available at:
http://gost-snip.su/download/asme_y14_1002004_engineering_drawing_and_related_documentati

I know the above link looks damaged but it works when I paste it into the address field of the browser.

In your PDF reader, search for the string: revis
and start reading for clues.

The little bit of drafting standard I've been involved with is:
  • Always keep the old revisions
  • Each revision must contain ALL the information to build to that rev.
    Don't forget the parts list, some items may also need a revision
  • Since each rev is stand-alone/complete, there generally is no reason to denote/highlight earlier revs; they just add useless clutter, especially when nested! In the real world, exceptions may occur which can often be covered by a note.
That's my non-expert two cents worth anyhow.

EDIT: Forgot to add that a table/list of the Revision History with brief description is often included on a drawing... and is useful.
/edit

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Lnewqban, russ_watters and berkeman
I don't know of any code standard, but in my opinion, the rev clouds are not a part of the actual design per se, and therefore do not need to be preserved. Rev clouds are a way to identify the parts of the drawing that have changed to assist field personnel during construction. We generally remove all rev clouds during the As-built process. Once the drawings represent the new "reality," old clouds and deleted linework, are just clutter. I have worked on drawings with 30+ revisions over the years, and it would be completely unreadable if everything were preserved on the master drawing. Of course revision blocks should always be maintained and updated.

However, as a consultant, I have worked on projects where drawings are being modified for several parallel projects to be constructed concurrently, and often these projects are designed by different engineers, even different consulting firms. It is important to have clouds to delineate who's design is who's, and add "for rev X only" qualifiers under your stamp for liability reasons.

Of course, record copies of each rev should be preserved according to the Engineering standards of your jurisdiction.

Likes Lnewqban

1. How do I delete old revision clouds on drawings?

To delete old revision clouds on drawings, you can use the "Erase" or "Delete" command in your drawing software. This will allow you to select and delete the revision clouds you no longer need.

2. Can I delete old revision clouds without affecting the rest of my drawing?

Yes, you can delete old revision clouds without affecting the rest of your drawing. As long as you use the proper command or tool to select and delete only the revision clouds, the rest of your drawing will remain intact.

3. What is the purpose of deleting old revision clouds?

The purpose of deleting old revision clouds is to keep your drawing organized and up-to-date. As you make revisions to your drawing, you may no longer need the old revision clouds, so deleting them helps to avoid confusion and clutter.

4. Is it necessary to delete old revision clouds when doing new revisions?

While it is not always necessary to delete old revision clouds, it is generally a good practice to do so. This helps to keep your drawing neat and tidy, and ensures that only the most recent revisions are highlighted.

5. Can I delete old revision clouds in bulk?

Yes, you can delete old revision clouds in bulk by using the "Select" or "Filter" tool in your drawing software. This will allow you to select and delete multiple revision clouds at once, saving you time and effort.