Cleared cookies in Firefox - now no text window for reply or post

• Bug
  • Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary: I cleared all cookies in Firefox 68.0. Now when I try to reply or create a thread using Firefox, I get no box to enter text. I do get the field to enter tags.Also, when I click on "Forums" while logged-in, I get no drop down menu.This problem began this morning just after I did Site Data: Manage Data ->Remove All: Save Changes.I'll try clearing the cache.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
I cleared all cookies in Firefox 68.0. Now when I try to reply or create a thread using Firefox, I get no box to enter text. I do get the field to enter tags. Also, when I click on "Forums" while logged-in, I get no drop down menu.

I'm writing this using the Midori browser. All the above functions work in Midori.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Try any other browsers? Try clearing cache? When did this first happen?
No, I don't have any other browsers currently installed (Fedora 29 machine).

The problem was fixed just now in Firefox by Edit->Preferences->Privacy&Security->Cookies and Site Data: Clear Data->Clear

The problem began this morning just after I did Site Data: Manage Data ->Remove All: Save Changes

Stephen Tashi said:
Firefox 68.0.

Why ?
1566790691227.png

I faced this today, say about 11 or 12 hours back. Lasted for maybe 30 mins, cannot say accurately. Tried from Chrome and Opera on Android, and got the same results.

Likes symbolipoint
This topic is confusing. Logging into an account on a website and then clearing your browser cookies strikes me as a way to break your log-in. If you then want to post something on any topic in the website, logging-in again would seem necessary. I should obviously test this, but I just do not feel an urge to do it.

symbolipoint said:
If you then want to post something on any topic in the website, logging-in again would seem necessary.

In my case, shutting down the computer and logging-in again later in the day didn't cure the problem.

symbolipoint said:
Logging into an account on a website and then clearing your browser cookies strikes me as a way to break your log-in.
It most definitely will. . .

1567649219579.png

I'll do it right now. . .
1567649480124.png

1567649826531.png

symbolipoint said:
Logging into an account on a website and then clearing your browser cookies strikes me as a way to break your log-in.
That is the normal behaviour - clear cookies and you're logged out. But I didn't clear the cookies, I just didn't have the reply box. It was just missing.

1. Why did clearing my cookies in Firefox cause my text window for replies or posts to disappear?

Clearing cookies in Firefox can sometimes reset your browser settings, including any saved login information or preferences for websites. This can result in the text window for replies or posts to disappear because the browser is no longer recognizing your previous settings for that website.

2. Can I retrieve my lost text window after clearing cookies in Firefox?

In most cases, clearing cookies in Firefox will permanently delete any saved information, including your text window for replies or posts. However, you may be able to restore your previous settings by using the "Restore Previous Session" option in the History menu.

3. Will clearing cookies in Firefox affect my ability to post or reply on other websites?

Clearing cookies in Firefox will only affect your saved settings for that specific website. Your ability to post or reply on other websites should not be affected.

4. Is there a way to prevent my text window from disappearing after clearing cookies in Firefox?

Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed way to prevent your text window from disappearing after clearing cookies in Firefox. However, you can try using a different browser or adjusting your privacy settings to only clear certain types of data.

5. What other information is affected when I clear cookies in Firefox?

Clearing cookies in Firefox will also delete any saved login information, website preferences, and browsing history for that specific website. It may also affect the appearance or functionality of the website, as it will no longer recognize your previous settings.