Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed or open question about the Extended Real line

1. Oct 8, 2012 #1
    This is just a quick question about sets that include plus or minus infinity on the extended real line. I am wondering about this in regards to measure in analysis so specifically, is [-∞,a) open or closed? I hadn't seen the extended reals before this class and we really didn't spend anytime discussing them. I want to say it is open since it certainly does not have a boundary point on the a) side and it seems like there isn't anything to approach the boundary on the [-∞. Moreover, it's complement [a,∞] looks suspiciously like a closed set.... Any verification on these musings? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2012 #2
    This link should help. Go to Section 6 - Extended Reals, see the 2nd paragraph.

http://math.rice.edu/~semmes/math443.pdf

Also, keep in mind that a set may be neither open nor closed. It might be interesting to find a subset of the extended reals that is neither open nor closed to see how the definitions/requirements given may fail.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  4. Oct 9, 2012 #3
    So then it's not open since it isn't open in respect to both τ+ and τ-?

5. Oct 9, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

How do you come to that conclusion?
    It is wrong, unless you use some non-standard topology.

Or both at the same time.

6. Oct 9, 2012 #5
    Ah, well now I think it is open. I misunderstood the bit about τ+- in the link. Am I wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook