Closure of A is the smallest closed set containing A

In summary, the smallest closed set containing A can be proven to exist by using Zorn's Lemma to show that the collection of all closed sets containing A has a maximal element, which is the smallest closed set containing A. This proof is necessary because we need to establish the existence of the smallest closed set before we can use its properties to prove other theorems.
mathboy
Ok, the proof looks simple since by defintion Cl A = intersection of all closed sets containing A. And textbooks give a quick proof that we all understand, but I have a question: Don't we first have to prove that a smallest closed set containing A exists in the first place?

I'm trying to prove the existence using Zorn's Lemma...

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the statement of my question:

Given a subset A in a topological space X, use Zorn's lemma to prove that there exists a smallest closed set containing A.

Let S be the collection of all closed subsets of X containing A. Partially order S by set containment, i.e. U < V iff U contains V. Let C = {B_i} be a totally ordered subcollection of S. Let B = intersection of all the B_i. Then B is an upper bound of C (since B is a subset of every B_i), and B is in S since B is a closed set containing A. Thus every totally ordered subcollection of S contains an upper bound in S so by Zorn's Lemma, S contains a maximal element, i.e. there exists a smallest closed set containing A.

Does that look right?

Last edited:
That's unnecessary. The smallest closed set containing A is the intersection of all closed sets containing A. Since A sits in a topological space X, the collection of closed sets containing it is nonempty - it contains X - so the intersection of all the members of this collection makes sense.

Last edited:

What is meant by "Closure of A"?

The closure of A is the set of all points that can be reached from A through a series of limit operations. In other words, it is the smallest closed set that contains all the points in A.

Why is Closure of A important in mathematics?

Closure of A is important because it allows us to define the limit of a sequence or function. It also helps us understand the behavior of a set or function near its boundary points.

How is the Closure of A calculated?

The closure of A can be calculated by taking the union of A and all its limit points. A limit point of A is a point that can be approached by a sequence of points in A.

Can the Closure of A be an open set?

No, the Closure of A is always a closed set. This is because it contains all its limit points, which are by definition boundary points and are included in a closed set.

Is the Closure of A unique?

Yes, the Closure of A is unique. This means that for any set A, there is only one smallest closed set that contains all the points in A, and it is known as the closure of A.