Clothes and chemicals don't mix

• Thread starter ~christina~
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemicals
In summary, the conversation discusses how chemicals, specifically sulfuric acid, can damage clothing and cause holes to appear after washing. The fabric is weakened after the chemical spill and wearing a lab apron is recommended to prevent damage. It is also suggested to wear acid-resistant materials such as plastic or synthetic fibers.
~christina~
Gold Member
[SOLVED] Clothes and chemicals don't mix

After taking analytical this summer I notice I have many holes in my jeans...

I spilled some Zimmermann-Reinhardt reagent on my jeans and I spilled it on my pocket of my jeans. I do know that it contains H2SO4 but I notice that everytime I was the jeans I have holes popping up...(darn it) I also worked with nitric, phosphoric, and of course hydrochloric acid this summer as well.

Not only that, I also have other jeans which have holes popping up but I know I didn't spill any acid on them or base...

Why is it that washing causes the holes to be bigger and holes to appear where there was none? Is there a reaction with the detergent or is it the fabric is weak after the chemical spill or splatter?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The fabric is damaged after the chemical spill and the holes grow in size after each washing. Unless you wear a lab apron, you are destined to ruin your chlothes, even if you are not working with acid. Sulfuric acid lingers and the edge of the lab bench is not often cleaned well. When you lean against a lab bench anywhere in the lab, you can damage your chlothes, especially 100% cotton.

Oh..interesting to know...gosh dang it..I guess I'll just have holes pop up again and again and...again.

wear plastic, synthetic fibers like polyester,vinyl, and other acid resistant materials
I hate wearing anything other than cotton though.

I guess I'll have to look at the label before I wear something on lab day.

1. Why is it important to avoid mixing clothes and chemicals?

Mixing clothes and chemicals can be dangerous as it can lead to chemical burns, skin irritation, and other health hazards. Chemicals can also damage or stain clothing, making it unwearable.

2. Which chemicals should I avoid mixing with clothes?

Some common household chemicals that should not be mixed with clothes include bleach, ammonia, drain cleaners, and strong acids or bases. It is important to always read and follow the instructions on chemical products to avoid any potential hazards.

3. Can mixing certain chemicals with clothes cause reactions?

Yes, mixing certain chemicals with clothes can cause chemical reactions that can release harmful fumes or heat, leading to skin burns or other health issues. This is especially true for mixing bleach with other cleaning agents.

4. How can I protect my clothes from chemicals?

The best way to protect your clothes from chemicals is to avoid mixing them in the first place. If you must use chemicals around your clothes, make sure to wear protective gear such as gloves and an apron. You can also wash your clothes immediately after exposure to chemicals to minimize any damage.

5. What should I do if my clothes come into contact with chemicals?

If your clothes come into contact with chemicals, immediately remove the affected clothing and wash your skin with soap and water. If the chemicals have caused any burns or irritation, seek medical attention. It is important to also wash the contaminated clothing separately from other laundry to avoid cross-contamination.