Clubs must for grad school admission?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
grlingo
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi.

I wonder if extracurriculars are necessary for admission into top graduate schools.
Currently as an undergraduate, I am doing some community work and I am a member of the IEEE student chapter at my university. But I am not much active in the chapter and I won't become an officer. Will it be an obstacle for me while applying to top grad schools like Stanford an MIT?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Not really. Grad schools don't really care about much beyond grades, test scores, research experience, and recommendations.
 
If you're applying to Math/Physics schools, being a university tutor in Math/Physics or a TA may be marginally helpful. It may also help you do better on the subject test. Other than that, volunteer and charity work, while possibly being self-fulfulling, is rather irrelevant on grad school applications.