1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clubs must for grad school admission?

1. Jan 24, 2009 #1

I wonder if extracurriculars are necessary for admission into top graduate schools.
    Currently as an undergraduate, I am doing some community work and I am a member of the IEEE student chapter at my university. But I am not much active in the chapter and I wont become an officer. Will it be an obstacle for me while applying to top grad schools like Stanford an MIT?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2009 #2
    Not really. Grad schools don't really care about much beyond grades, test scores, research experience, and recommendations.
  4. Jan 24, 2009 #3
    If you're applying to Math/Physics schools, being a university tutor in Math/Physics or a TA may be marginally helpful. It may also help you do better on the subject test. Other than that, volunteer and charity work, while possibly being self-fulfulling, is rather irrelevant on grad school applications.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?