CM and Relative Coordinates; Reduced Mass

In summary, the problem involves two particles of mass m1 and m2 connected by a massless spring of natural length L and force constant k. One particle is at rest on a table while the other is held vertically above at height L before being projected upward with initial velocity v0. Using the equations of motion and Langrangian equations, the positions of the two masses can be found at any subsequent time before either one returns to the table. The solution involves calculating the motion of the center of mass and the motion of the particles relative to the center of mass, using the reduced mass equation and initial conditions for the spring. Ultimately, the position equations for the two masses are y1 = (L + (m1/M)*v0
Midas_Touch
Two particles of mass m1 and m2 are joined by a massless spring of natural length L and force constant k. Initially, m2 is resting on a table and I am holding m2 vertically above m2 at a height L. At time t=0, I project m2 vertically upward with initial velocity v0. Find the positions of the two masses at any subsequent time (before or either mass returns to the table) and describe the motion.

okay, so i set up the equations and motions and used langrangian equations to yield y = c0+c1t-1/2gt^2

where co and c1 are constants. so for this equation, i have to take the first derivative and plug in t=0. so does that mean, y = c0 and y' = c1?

further, i let the centrifugal force equal to the spring force

F_r = mu*(r'') = -k(r-L) where mu is m1m2/M where M = m1+m2

where L is the unstretched length

anyway since the equation is a simple harmonic equation, i could find two constants b1, and b2 and i got b1 = r - L and b2 = r'/w ( where w =omega) when i plugged in t=0 for the derivatives.

however, how do these initial conditions fit in with the answer, with the position equations y1 = Y + (m2/M)*r and y2= Y - (m1/M)*r

and ultimately, the answer to the problem
which is y1 = (L + (m1/M)*v0*t - 0.5gt^2) + (m2*v0/M*w)sin(wt)
and y2 = ( (m1/M)*v0*t - 0.5gt^2) - (m1*v0/M*w)sin(wt)

Physics news on Phys.org
So you're breaking this problem into two parts: the motion of the center of mass, and the motion of the two particles relative to the center of mass.

The first one is a simple projectile motion problem, and you should use the equation you mentioned, y = c0+c1t-1/2gt^2. You need to calculate the initial position and the initial velocity of the center of mass, and plug these in for c0 and c1. The position of the center of mass should be easy, and for the velocity, use vcm = ptot/mtot.

The second part is the motion of two objects connected by a spring. Using the reduced mass equation you mentioned, you can find the distance between the objects as a function of time, and then you can use this to find the position of the objects relative to the center of mass, so that you can combine this with your previous result. The initial conditions here are the initial length of the spring and the initial rate of change of the length of the spring.

1. What is the center of mass (CM) and why is it important in physics?

The center of mass is the point at which the mass of a system is concentrated and can be thought of as the "average" position of all the mass in the system. It is important in physics because it allows us to simplify complex systems and analyze them as a single point, making calculations and predictions easier.

2. How do you calculate the center of mass of an object?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual masses and positions of all the particles in the system. This can be represented by the equation: xcm = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn)/mtotal, where x represents the position and m represents the mass of each particle.

3. What are relative coordinates and how are they used in physics?

Relative coordinates are a way of describing the position of an object relative to another object or point of reference. In physics, they are often used to simplify calculations by allowing us to consider the motion of one object relative to another, rather than considering the motion of both objects separately.

4. What is the reduced mass and how is it related to the center of mass?

The reduced mass is the effective mass of a system in which two or more particles are interacting with each other. It is related to the center of mass because it is used to calculate the position of the center of mass in systems with more than one object. The reduced mass is given by the equation: mred = m1m2/(m1+m2).

5. How does the reduced mass affect the motion of objects in a system?

The reduced mass affects the motion of objects in a system by determining the strength of the gravitational or other forces between them. Objects with a smaller reduced mass will experience a greater acceleration and therefore move faster in response to the same force compared to objects with a larger reduced mass.