Co-finite topology on an infinite set

In summary, the co-finite topology on an infinite set X allows for a 1-1 correspondence between the topology and the set of finite subsets of X. However, if X is uncountably infinite, there is not a 1-1 correspondence between the topology and X itself. This can be proven by grouping the co-finite sets by the size of their complements, showing that the cardinality of the topology is less than the cardinality of X. In the finite case, there is also not a 1-1 correspondence between the topology and X, as there are always more subsets of X than elements in X.
Deveno
Science Advisor
Gold Member
MHB
If τ is the co-finite topology on an infinite set X, does there exist an injection from τ to X? I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around this.

on the one hand, for A in τ, we have A = X - S, for some finite set S. so it seems that there is a 1-1 correspondence:

A <--> S, of τ with the finite subsets of X.

so if X were countable, it seems that the set of all finite subsets would also be countable (i could put N into a 1-1 correspondence with the algebraic numbers, for example, and what is an algebraic number but it's associated minimal polynomial, and what is an integral polynomial except a finite sequence of integers (its coefficients)?).

but if X is uncountably infinite, i don't know if τ is "bigger" than X (it's certainly at least as big). certainly τ is uncountable (since it contains X - {x} for every element x of X). i suspect that it is not, that if we "group" the co-finite sets by the size of their complements, then |τ| = |N|*|X| < |X x X| = |X|. is this true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Deveno said:
i suspect that it is not, that if we "group" the co-finite sets by the size of their complements, then |τ| = |N|*|X| < |X x X| = |X|. is this true?
Yup. Coupled with your observation about complements of singletons, this proves that |τ|=|X| if X is infinite.

To complete the classification, you can see that if X is finite and has n elements, all of its subsets are finite, and there are 2n of them, which is more than n. So there is never a 1-1 correspondence between τ and X in the finite case.

What is the co-finite topology on an infinite set?

The co-finite topology on an infinite set is a type of topology where the open sets are the complements of finite subsets of the infinite set. This means that the open sets are the sets that contain all but finitely many elements of the infinite set.

How is the co-finite topology different from other types of topologies?

The co-finite topology is different from other types of topologies because it only considers the finiteness of sets, rather than the specific elements of the sets. This means that two sets with different elements can still be considered open in the co-finite topology if they have the same number of elements.

Is the co-finite topology on an infinite set compact?

No, the co-finite topology on an infinite set is not compact. This is because there exist open covers of the infinite set that do not have finite subcovers, making it not possible to find a finite subcover that covers the entire set.

What are the advantages of using the co-finite topology on an infinite set?

One advantage of using the co-finite topology is that it is very easy to construct. It also has a simple definition and can be used to prove many theorems in topology. Additionally, the co-finite topology is useful in studying infinite sets and their properties.

Can the co-finite topology be applied to finite sets?

Technically, yes, the co-finite topology can be applied to finite sets. However, in this case, the co-finite topology would be equivalent to the discrete topology, where all subsets are considered open. This is because all subsets of a finite set are finite, so the complement of any subset would also be finite, making all subsets open in the co-finite topology.