Co-Ordinate Geometry - Find P for |PA - PB| is maximum

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the co-ordinates of a point P on the line 2x - y + 5 = 0 such that |PA - PB| is maximum, where A is (4,-2) and B is (2, -4) will be: (11, 27)
AGNuke
Gold Member
The co-ordinates of a point P on the line 2x - y + 5 = 0 such that |PA - PB| is maximum, where A is (4,-2) and B is (2, -4) will be:

A) (11, 27)
B) (-11, -17) (Answer)
C) (-11, 17) (Eliminated since it does not lie on the given line)
D) (0, 5)

Honest speaking, I don't know what to do in this question. I just attempted to prove that mirror image of A, P and B are non-collinear, but it doesn't changed the fact that I still can't reach to the answer.

Basically, I just want to ask that what is the demand of the question? What I must try to prove? Sorry for being so much of a newbie, but I can't get over with it.

I only ask for the direction in which I should work. I will try to do the rest.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi AGNuke! :smile:

Easiest is if you make a drawing of your line and your points A and B.
Now imagine picking a point P on the line and consider the difference in distances to A and B.
When you have drawn this, it should become apparent when this difference in distances is at a maximum...

and how can I derive the co-ordinates.

In the exams, we have less than 3 minutes to attempt the question and jot down the answer in the OMR sheet. That summation question I previously asked also falls in the category, despite of the fact that no one was able to solve it SUBJECTIVELY, it was done by objective approach.

You are asking me to do the same. But it would be best if I can solve it via co-ordinate geometry.

Well, in 3 minutes you can quickly make a drawing.
Hopefully you'll say "aaah, that's what they intended" and then you can immediately see what the right answer is.

In this case point P is the intersection of the specified line and the line through points A and B.

A rough sketch of the problem, I can draw it. But that's only for visualization. It is not accurate so I can't tell where my answer lies exactly.

I am just looking for a proper subjective approach.

First you need to realize that a point P for which |PA - PB| is at its maximum must lie on the line through A and B.

Then set up an equation for the line through A and B.

Solve the system of 2 equations and you have your answer.

Voila! That's quite right solution you got there. Just wondering how why this condition was necessary.

My take is for a ΔPAB, AB + PB ≥ PA
= AB ≥ PA - PB (Assuming both sides to be positive i.e. PA > PB)

Thus, maximum value of PA - PB is AB, only when the triangle is a line.

Is my explanation is right?

AGNuke said:
Voila! That's quite right solution you got there. Just wondering how why this condition was necessary.

My take is for a ΔPAB, AB + PB ≥ PA
= AB ≥ PA - PB (Assuming both sides to be positive i.e. PA > PB)

Thus, maximum value of PA - PB is AB, only when the triangle is a line.

Is my explanation is right?

Yes!
Your explanation is right.
(Although incomplete, since you've assumed PA > PB...)

Ok, I'll replace it with AB ≥ |PA - PB|

That will do it!

What is coordinate geometry?

Coordinate geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of geometric figures in a coordinate system. It involves using algebraic equations to describe and analyze the relationship between points, lines, and shapes on a graph.

How do you find the maximum distance between two points in coordinate geometry?

In order to find the maximum distance between two points in coordinate geometry, you can use the distance formula, which is √[(x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2]. This formula calculates the distance between two points (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) on a graph. By plugging in the coordinates of the two points, you can find the maximum distance between them.

What is the significance of finding the maximum distance between two points in coordinate geometry?

Finding the maximum distance between two points in coordinate geometry can help in various real-world applications, such as in navigation, surveying, and mapping. It can also be used to find the longest possible route between two points.

How do you find the coordinates of the point that maximizes the distance between two given points?

In order to find the coordinates of the point that maximizes the distance between two given points, you can use the midpoint formula, which is [(x1 + x2)/2, (y1 + y2)/2]. This formula calculates the coordinates of the point that lies on the line segment connecting the two given points and is equidistant from both points. By using this formula, you can find the point that maximizes the distance between the two given points.

Can the maximum distance between two points be negative?

No, the maximum distance between two points cannot be negative. Distance is a positive quantity, and the maximum distance between two points is the longest distance between them, which is always a positive value. Negative values may arise if the points are represented using a different coordinate system, but in the standard Cartesian coordinate system, the maximum distance between two points will always be positive.