Coaxial Rotor UAV Helicopter Hover Performance

In summary, the conversation discusses a conceptual performance calculation and analysis of a co-axial rotor UAV helicopter on hover. The design constants of the helicopter are mentioned, and an equation from a research paper is used to calculate the required power. However, the results are conflicting with the theory, as the induced power is only 25% of the total power instead of the expected 60-65%. Additionally, the required power decreases with increasing altitude, which contradicts the theoretical aspect. The conversation also mentions considering compressibility as a possible factor in the conflicting results.
Usamah Abdul Latif
Hi Guys!

I'm doing a conceptual performance calculation and analysis on co-axial rotor UAV helicopter on hover. However, I'm having conflicting results and if anyone can help me, it would be very great.

The design constant of the helicopter are as follows:

MTOW = 20 kg
κ = 1.15 (Induced Power Factor)
κint = 1.281 (Induced Power Interference Factor)
σ = 0.034 (Solidity Ratio)
A = 0.257 m^2 (Main Blade Area)
ΩR = 215.356 m/s (Tip Speed)
CDo = 0.011 (Profile Drag Coefficient)

I'm using this equation, from the research paper of Aerodynamic Optimization of a Coaxial Proprotor - Leishman & Ananthan:

P(required) = P(induced) + P(profile)
P(required) = {[κint*κ*W^(3/2)]/sqrt(2*ρ*A)} + {[ρA(ΩR)^3]*(2σ*CDo/8)}

However, I found out that the induced power is only 25% of the total power and the profile power is 75%. This is really contradict with the theory. According to Wayne Johnson's book of Helicopter Theory, the induced power should be 60-65% of the total power. This also makes the Figure of Merit is only 0.139, whereas the good helicopter should have Figure of Merit ranging from 0.6 to 0.8.

Asides from that, I also found out that the required power required decreases with increasing altitude. This is contradict with the theoretical aspect in which, as helicopter altitude increases, more power required for the helicopter to maintain the same amount of thrust, as thrust = weight. When the power required is reaching the same amount the power available, then the helicopter reach its hover ceiling, as it can't go more higher.

I read other research paper on this area, but I found out most of them uses the same equation to calculate power, derived from the momentum equation.

Anyone have opinion about this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you taking into account compressibility? The blade tip is at Mach .627 which should contribute to a rise in lift and drag.

1. What is a coaxial rotor UAV helicopter?

A coaxial rotor UAV helicopter is a type of unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) that uses two rotors mounted on top of each other to provide lift and control. This design eliminates the need for a tail rotor and allows for greater stability and maneuverability.

2. How does the coaxial rotor design affect hover performance?

The coaxial rotor design allows for a more stable hover performance compared to traditional single-rotor helicopters. The counter-rotating rotors cancel out each other's torque, resulting in a more balanced and controlled hover.

3. What factors affect the hover performance of a coaxial rotor UAV helicopter?

The hover performance of a coaxial rotor UAV helicopter is affected by several factors, including the weight of the aircraft, the power and efficiency of the rotors, and external environmental conditions such as wind speed and direction.

4. How does the weight of the UAV helicopter affect its hover performance?

The weight of a coaxial rotor UAV helicopter plays a significant role in its hover performance. A heavier aircraft will require more power from the rotors to stay airborne, which can lead to decreased hover time and maneuverability.

5. Can the hover performance of a coaxial rotor UAV helicopter be improved?

Yes, the hover performance of a coaxial rotor UAV helicopter can be improved through various means, such as optimizing the weight and balance of the aircraft, increasing rotor efficiency, and utilizing advanced control systems. Regular maintenance and tuning can also help maintain optimal hover performance.