1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cobb-Douglas functions in economics

1. Mar 24, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Cobb-Douglas functions in economics

Hi. I'm an economics major. This problem isn't actually required, but I'm trying to learn more about Cobb-Douglas functions.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here [pdf] is a description of them. On that first page they go from [tex]U_{0} = X^{B}*Y^{1-B}[/tex]. Then they solve for Y and get [tex]Y = U^{1/1-B}_{0}*X^{-B/1-B}[/tex]. The question is simple: how did they do that algebraically?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to sort things around to get their solution. I got [tex]Y^{1-B} = U_{0}/X^{B}[/tex] Assuming that is right, I then took the natural log of both sides and divided both sides by [tex]1-B[/tex]. But here is where I'm stuck. Obviously the -B exponent on X in the solution makes it a fraction, but I'm just too rusty/untalented at this stuff to figure out how dividing by (1-B) can find a way into the exponents of the variables.

Incidentally, how do I group things with fractions in Latex?

Nevermind, I'm retarded. Of course if I take the root (1-B) of both sides I get that answer...duh...still curious about the Latex stuff though...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2008 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?