Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of correletion problem

1. Jul 23, 2011 #1
    a vase contains one red ball two white balls and three black balls. n balls are take out of the vase and (each ball returned to it afterwards). let B denote the number of black balls taken out and R denote the number of red balls taken out. what is the coefficient of correlation between R and B?

well i know that coeffieicnt of correlation = [itex]\frac{cov(R,B)}{\sigma R*\sigma B}[/itex]
    and that R and B are simply bernouli trials with x and n-x trials respectivly.

my problem is calculating the covariance = E[RB] -E[R]E (E is the mean).
    E[R] and E are straightforward but E[RB] is a bit trickier for me.

i thought of using the definition of the mean with a multinomial vector for the shared probability for R and B and summing over 0<x<n, but is there an easier way?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2011 #2
    It would be easy if it weren't for the white balls... As it is, I don't see any way of doing it short of writing out the sum.

4. Jul 23, 2011 #3
    The number of red balls is R = sum_{i=1}^n I[ball i is red] where I is the indicator function so to calculate E[RB] you just need to expand the product.

5. Jul 23, 2011 #4
    bpet, i am sorry, but can you elaborate?

and i thought of using the smoothing theorom,
    Due to the fact that it is easier to think in terms of conditional probability in this problem.

E[RB]=E[E[RB|B]]=E[B*E[R|B]=E[B*(n-B)*P(R)]

=P(R)*(nE-E[B^2])

B is distributed binomially with n trials and probability P(B).

the problem here is that i get a different answer for E[E[RB|R]]
    what am i doing wrong?

6. Jul 23, 2011 #5
    sry for the double post but believe i understood the part about expanding the product :).

tell me if this is correct

[itex]R = R1+R2 +R3 ..... + Rn[/itex]

where:
    [itex] R = 1 , p=1/6 [/itex]
    [itex] R = 0 , p=5/6 [/itex]

and likewise for B

[itex]E[RB] = E[(R1+R2+...+Rn)(B1+B2+...+Bn)= (n^2-n)*P(B)*P(R)][/itex]
    Ri*Bi is always 0 becuase one being 1 implies the other being 0.

[itex]E[RB]-E[R]E = (n^2-n)*P(B)*P(R)-n^2*P(B)*P(R) =- n*P(R)*P(B) = -n/12[/itex]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  7. Jul 23, 2011 #6

If you change the RHS to E[B*(n-B)*P(R|B)] does that work?

8. Jul 24, 2011 #7
    i don't see how P(R|B) changes anything becuase (n-B)*P(R) is the mean of R|B (where B=s , 0<s<n).
    P(R) is the probability that in a given "trial" (pulling a ball out) you get red, which is independent from the amount of black balls you took out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook