Probability question involving picking balls from a bag

In summary, the conversation discusses a chemistry problem that involves finding the answer to a probability problem. The problem involves picking balls from a bag without replacement and defining runs and run lengths. The minimum and maximum possible number of runs and the maximum possible values for red and blue run lengths are also mentioned. The main question is how to find the expected value of the number of runs and the probability distribution of red and blue run lengths. It is suggested to either find formulas or simulate the problem for an approximation.
Ryuzaki
I’m working on a chemistry problem, which essentially translates to finding the answer to a related probability problem. However, my knowledge in probability is very limited and I'd be grateful if someone could help me out with it. The following is the problem:-

Suppose I have a bag containing [itex]70[/itex] red balls and [itex]30[/itex] blue balls. For the purpose of illustration, let’s call them [itex]R[/itex]s (red balls) and [itex]B[/itex]s (blue balls). Now, I am going to pick one ball at a time from this bag, without replacement. I define a run to be a sequence of consecutive [itex]R[/itex]s (or alternately, [itex]B[/itex]s) picked, along with the first [itex]B[/itex] (or [itex]R[/itex]) that is picked. And I define a red (or blue) run length to be the number of consecutive [itex]R[/itex]s (or [itex]B[/itex]s) I pick in a run, before I encounter a [itex]B[/itex] (or [itex]R[/itex]) or until the number of balls run out.

As examples, [itex]RRRRRRB[/itex] is a run (for simplicity, let me denote it by [itex]R_6[/itex] in shorthand) with red run length [itex]6[/itex], [itex]RB[/itex] is a run (denoted by [itex]R_1[/itex]) with red run length [itex]1[/itex], [itex]BBBR[/itex] is a run (denoted by [itex]B_3[/itex]) with blue run length [itex]3[/itex].

In each simulation, I keep doing runs until all the [itex]100[/itex] balls are picked out (since the balls are picked without replacement, the number of runs and the red/blue run lengths are both finite).

Let’s look at a typical simulation of ball-picking: [itex]R_{50}R_{10}B_{28}R_9[/itex]. In this simulation, there are [itex]4[/itex] runs. The first run consists of [itex]50[/itex] consecutive red balls, until a blue ball is encountered. The second run consists of [itex]10[/itex] consecutive red balls until a ball is encountered. The third run consists of [itex]28[/itex] consecutive blue balls until a red ball is encountered. And the last run consists of [itex]9[/itex] consecutive red balls, and the simulation ends as there are no more balls to be picked.

It is easy to see that the minimum possible number of runs is [itex]2[/itex] (attained by [itex]R_{70}[/itex] followed by [itex]B_{29}[/itex], or [itex]B_{30}[/itex] followed by [itex]R_{69}[/itex]) and the maximum possible number of runs is [itex]31[/itex] (attained by [itex]R_1[/itex] [itex]30[/itex] times followed by [itex]R_{40}[/itex], or [itex]B_1[/itex] [itex]30[/itex] times followed by [itex]R_{70}[/itex]).

Also, the maximum possible value of red run length is [itex]70[/itex] and that of blue run length is [itex]30[/itex].

Now, I’m interested in knowing the probability distribution of the red and blue run lengths. For this, I believe that I must first find the expected value of the number of runs in a simulation. But I’m not sure how to proceed from here. So to sum up, the following are my questions:-

1. How do I find the expected value of the number of runs in a simulation?

2. For that expected value, how do I calculate the probability distribution of red and blue run lengths?

Physics news on Phys.org
It might be possible to find formulas, but that problem looks messy if you want exact answers.

You can get a reasonable approximation for small run lengths (=the most frequent case) if you assume each ball has a .7 probability to be red and a .3 probability to be blue, even if those numbers change during a run. You'll get an exponential distribution for run lengths.

Alternatively, simulate it. Especially for the expected number of runs, this is probably the easiest way.

1. How does the number of balls in the bag affect the probability of picking a specific ball?

The number of balls in the bag directly affects the probability of picking a specific ball. As the number of balls in the bag increases, the probability of picking a specific ball decreases. Similarly, as the number of balls in the bag decreases, the probability of picking a specific ball increases.

2. What is the difference between probability and odds in this scenario?

Probability refers to the likelihood of picking a specific ball from the bag, while odds refer to the ratio of the probability of an event occurring to the probability of that event not occurring. In this scenario, the probability of picking a specific ball would be the number of specific balls in the bag divided by the total number of balls, while the odds would be the number of specific balls in the bag to the number of non-specific balls in the bag.

3. How does the removal or addition of balls from the bag affect the probability of picking a specific ball?

The removal or addition of balls from the bag affects the probability of picking a specific ball. When a ball is removed from the bag, the probability of picking that specific ball decreases because there are now fewer total balls in the bag. When a ball is added to the bag, the probability of picking that specific ball increases because there are now more total balls in the bag.

4. What is the probability of picking at least one specific ball from the bag if multiple balls are picked?

The probability of picking at least one specific ball from the bag if multiple balls are picked can be calculated by first finding the probability of not picking the specific ball for each pick and then subtracting that from 1. For example, if the probability of not picking the specific ball on each pick is 0.8, the probability of picking at least one specific ball from three picks would be 1 - (0.8 x 0.8 x 0.8) = 0.488 or 48.8%.

5. Can the probability of picking a specific ball from the bag change over time?

Yes, the probability of picking a specific ball from the bag can change over time. This can happen if balls are added or removed from the bag, or if the number of total balls in the bag changes. Additionally, if the specific ball is picked multiple times and not replaced, the probability of picking that specific ball would decrease with each pick.