Coefficient of kinetic friction on a slide with inclined and level sections

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
songokou77
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
When mass M is at the position shown, it is sliding down the inclined part of a slide at a speed of 1.89 m/s. The mass stops a distance S2 = 1.85 m along the level part of the slide. The distance S1 = 1.25 m and the angle theta = 37.7 degrees. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction for the mass on the surface.

Well i kinda found a formula for this by changing the conservatiion of energy(K_f+U_f=K_i+U_i+W_nc).

The formula is mu_k=(-1/2*(V_i^2)-1/2*(g*h))/(g*S_total),

But I still don't get the right answer am I doing something wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Think again:
You haven't used the information that you are on an INCLINED plane!
 
I used the incline plane to figure out h=Ssin37.7=0.26
 
It's still wrong, you've used a frictional force: [tex]\mu{mg}[/tex]
This is incorrect.
In addition, your signs are messed up