1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficients of wave function of a hybrid orbital

1. Jun 11, 2015 #1
    Assuming the 2s and 2p wavefunctions are normalized, determine the coefficients in the hybrid orbital:

Ψ(sp3) = aΨ(2s) + aΨ(2px) + aΨ(2py) + aΨ(2pz) (the other 3 hybrids have – signs for some of the coefficients.

I have no clue where to start. I know this is a tetrahedral hybrid orbital but can't seem to grasp this question.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are the other 3 hybrids completely specified for you? If so, you should impose orthonormality to determine the coefficients for this wavefunction.

4. Jun 11, 2015 #3
    No this is the whole problem. I keep thinking it must be entirely simple but I guess it's not. (My teacher has a way of omission to the point of ridiculous)

5. Jun 12, 2015 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, you've written down a fairly specific expression with the same coefficient ##a## in front of each term. Assuming that's given, then ##a## should be fixed by normalizing the wavefunction. You should verify that the 4 hybrid orbitals are orthonormal to complete the exercise.

6. Jun 12, 2015 #5
    If I assume orthonormality and the other 3 hybrids have some coefficients as negative, then am I right to conclude that the coefficients for this one are all +1/2?

7. Jun 12, 2015 #6

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, normalizing this requires ##a=1/2##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted