Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Electron wavefunction as an overlap of orbitals

1. Jun 4, 2017 #1
    so im finishing up my studies of intro to quantum mechanics, and this is not in my book and looking at previous exams i have to know this for single electron atoms/ions.
    one of the problems was somethin like
    "the wave function of an electron is the overlap of the orbitals:
    Ψ=aΨ1s+i/√3Ψ2p+¾Ψ3s
    find avg energy. what is the probability of measuring it?"
    i dont want help solving this, can you just point me to an website/book that covers this? thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2017 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

"Something like" or "exactly like"? If I'm understanding the question properly by reading "overlap" as "superposition", it only makes sense for one particular value of ##a##. And (again, if I'm understanding the question properly) the answer is going to be in your book - somewhere it will talk about expectation values of measurements.

4. Jun 5, 2017 #3

DrDu

Science Advisor

I wouldn't call it the "overlapp" but a superposition. The orbitals making up the superposition are orthogonal, so technically, they have no overlapp.

5. Jun 5, 2017 #4
    thanks for yur answers sorry about the overlap thing it was a translation problem.
    and the problem i presentd was in an actual exam but all of them always have a problem like that.
    im gonna take a carefull look at both books ive got

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted