Coffee How much coffee do you drink?

• Thread starter thegreenlaser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee
In summary: I got pregnant and stopped drinking coffee. Now I can drink as much coffee as I want and it doesn't put me to sleep anymore, but it does make me irritable.

How much coffee do you drink?

• None

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • A cup or two, occasionally

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • 1-2 cups per day

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • 3-5 cups per day

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • 6-10 cups per day

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • 10+ cups per day

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters
^That's actually one good thing coffee has done for me. I used to drink a LOT of Coke, but ever since I started drinking coffee, my consumption of pop in general has gone down by quite a bit. However good or bad coffee may be, I'm quite confident that coffee (at least black coffee) is quite a bit better for me than full-sugar pop.

Physics news on Phys.org
between a half and a full pot of Starbucks Pike Place Roast everyday...

More when the better half isn't awake when I get up and make the coffee, less when she beats me to the coffee maker.

thegreenlaser said:
^That's actually one good thing coffee has done for me. I used to drink a LOT of Coke, but ever since I started drinking coffee, my consumption of pop in general has gone down by quite a bit. However good or bad coffee may be, I'm quite confident that coffee (at least black coffee) is quite a bit better for me than full-sugar pop.

At least Diet Dr. Pepper boasts 0 fat, 0 carb, 0 sugar (aspartame), 0 protein (lol), and only 55mg sodium (or 2% Daily Value). That's how I justify it at least, though I know it's probably horrible to drink.

I usually make six cups worth according to my coffee pot in the AM. I then get to work and have an americano with two shots. Three hours later, my first break. This includes another americano. After lunch, another americano. Last break another americano. Sometimes before I leave work...another americano.

We moved buildings and no longer have a coffee machine. Instead we have an espresso machine. Hence the americanos.

During school I might throw in an energy drink after work sometime. :)

I must say it tastes pretty good, but I feel adamant against it. I drink none. At one point you become dependent on it. And I don't like being dependent on anything. Unless it is the things my genes already impose on me such as water, food, and sex.

Nano-Passion said:
I must say it tastes pretty good, but I feel adamant against it. I drink none. At one point you become dependent on it. And I don't like being dependent on anything. Unless it is the things my genes already impose on me such as water, food, and sex.

I also strongly dislike being dependent on coffee but my parents are dependent on it and that may have carried over to my genes. (If dependencies were genetic) Before I started drinking coffee, I could never stay awake during school or any other part of the day so I saw coffee as my only chance of succeeding in school and elsewhere. : /

I used to drink coffee. Loved it. It was probably the highlight of my day. Since I found out I've an IBD, I drink 0 cups a day. Sadly.

2-3 cups in the morning, usually no coffee after noon. No cream or sugar, that would be sacrilege. I don't drink soda, except a bottle of Mexican coke once in a while.

What do you mean by cup?

Real men drink their coffee in a mug.

(5 mugs a day, here)

Now.. almost none. The only time I had one was a couple of months ago at a cafe where I'm used to enjoy my favorite beverage-Bhakti chai-and they were out of Bhakti, so I ordered coffee latte... I didn't sleep that night.
Funny enough, I wasn't like this a few years back, I remember I loved coffee I can have 3 to 5 cups a day.

Most days, none. Occasionally, I'll brew myself a large pot of very dark coffee and drink it all while sitting outside with a book.

Astronuc said:
Pretty same here, since I was about 12 or 13.

Using the standard volume of 8 oz = 236.6 ml per cup, I'm in the 10+ cup range. My 'cups' hold about 20 oz (2.5 cups), and some about 24 oz (3 cups - they are for soup). I'll drink about 4 of those in the morning, and perhaps 2 to 4 in the afternoon. So about 10-20 cups (2 to 5 l) per day depending.
Still about the same.

The alternative would be espresso IV.

Dr Transport said:
between a half and a full pot of Starbucks Pike Place Roast everyday...

That's the original one in the market, right. I used to live a block down from their at the Harbor steps. Have you ever been to the Online coffee company/cyber café right down there? That used to be my haunt about 7-8 years ago.

These days, I usually get a 4 shot iced mocha in the morning or just an iced espresso, 4-shots. Either that, or if its cold out, I get what they call a "pour over" of some exotic premium coffee from my local bohemian coffee bar. In either case, I end up drinking it slowly, sometimes nursing it for several hours or more cause it's all I got. My security blanket. Then typically I'll have a cup of cheap instant coffee after my workout at night so I have another security blanket for later, but not one that's going to wire me too hard like the morning cup. So, equivalent cups of coffee according to the poll I'd say is about 6-7 or so. The morning blast is about 4-5 cups equivelant, and the evening about 1-2.

Tea.

That is all.

HayleySarg said:
Tea.

That is all.
Oooh, what kind?

Evo said:
Oooh, what kind?

Every kind! I've not met a tea yet I didn't like (other than low quality tea ofc!)

HayleySarg said:
Tea.

That is all.

I drink 3 to 4 mugs of tea a day, mainly Tim Hortons steeped tea, which, when fresh, I love. At 7 or 7:30 am, I stop in at a Tim's on the way to work, and I chat for a while with other morning regulars. At about 10 am and 2 pm, I get tea from the Tim's at work. I don't have have to go outside, so I can ignore the "Beware! Bear in the area." sign that was on the door of my building when I arrived at work this morning. Tea after supper, either at home, or I walk to Tim's with my wife and daughter.

My daily intake is:

2 cups of black tea with lemon

snack: fruit + herbal or green tea

Lunch: Earl Gray OR a fruit flavored tea, sometimes over ice

Dinner: Herbal/green tea

I always have tea. I've recently weaned myself off all coffee and soda.

a little bit of caffeine will shoot my blood pressure over 160 so I don't drink coffee at all

HayleySarg said:
Every kind! I've not met a tea yet I didn't like (other than low quality tea ofc!)

Tell me about your favourite tea! No caffeine please.

Seriously, I feel tea is so... "bland".. I need to get used to it tho.

What's wrong with caffeine, says the Caf-fiend :biggrin:

thegreenlaser said:
I'm just curious as to how many people here drink coffee and if so, how much. (I consider a 'cup' to be your average mug, or like an average large/extra large coffee at a coffee shop. It's a very rough measurement.) I know coffee is very prominent among science/math majors (I've noticed that a lot of my profs have coffee machines in their offices) It's my theory that if coffee were to somehow disappear off the face of the earth, the scientific community in North America would collapse. :)

Personally, I started drinking coffee last summer, when I was working in a restaurant that tends to focus on the breakfast/lunch crowd. Employees get as much free coffee as they want, so I started drinking it, and got to really like it (drinking it black, I can't even really stand cream or sugar anymore). Then I went off to first year university and didn't even stand a chance with the amount of sleep I started getting. I've so far managed to keep myself down to 2 cups a day, except during finals or after big pushes where I might drink three, but who knows... I've got quite a long time in school left to get super-addicted.

How about you? Are you an avid coffee drinker, or do you hate the stuff?

*Note* Since I don't know how to change a poll, the first option is for non-coffee drinkers. The second one is for people who drink coffee, but not regularly/daily.

I am a science and engineering person, but I don't drink coffee. But somehow I find time to go to the gym and exercise. (but I don't find time to socialize really).

Occasionally I eat chocolates, today I ate a creamy white chocolate bar, and yesterday I ate for my breakfast before my exam that day a kit-kat, hopefully I got good grade in the exam, I don't think so.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
I am a science and engineering person, but I don't drink coffee. But somehow I find time to go to the gym and exercise. (but I don't find time to socialize really).

Occasionally I eat chocolates, today I ate a creamy white chocolate bar, and yesterday I ate for my breakfast before my exam that day a kit-kat, hopefully I got good grade in the exam, I don't think so.

What would you say is the most important exercise? I mean, exercises for memory/concentration..

I'll try to find some papers on that. If you have some links...

x2791258 said:
Tell me about your favourite tea! No caffeine please.

Seriously, I feel tea is so... "bland".. I need to get used to it tho.

Strawberry Lemonade tea
http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/herbal-teas/p/strawberry-lemonade-herbal-tea

Chai Rooibos Tea
http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/rooibos-teas/p/dosha-chai-rooibos-tea

I'm all about these two right now and they're amazing.

Herbal teas in general tend to be much more flavorful than green (unless it's Matcha, which is some kind of flavor ;)

x2791258 said:
What would you say is the most important exercise? I mean, exercises for memory/concentration..

I'll try to find some papers on that. If you have some links...

The word 'exercise' was after 'gym' as in physical exercising. :-)

But for academic studying the more I practice something, and write it also down it's get stuck in the brain for a long time, yes it's tedious to write down from the book to your notes and repeat it, but I find that once I do this it gets stuck in the brain even well after the exam is finished (obviously memory is a tricky thing as time passes by). Once I do this after a long time that I didn't touch on the subject I can look on a book and read it in a brisk.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
The word 'exercise' was after 'gym' as in physical exercising. :-)

But for academic studying the more I practice something, and write it also down it's get stuck in the brain for a long time, yes it's tedious to write down from the book to your notes and repeat it, but I find that once I do this it gets stuck in the brain even well after the exam is finished (obviously memory is a tricky thing as time passes by). Once I do this after a long time that I didn't touch on the subject I can look on a book and read it in a brisk.

Oh no. I meant physical exercise.

I'm pretty sure some kind of exercises are better at reducing, let's say, stress, than others.

I only drink water. I try to avoid foods and drinks that can potentially stain your teeth, such as tea and coffee.

leroyjenkens said:
I try to avoid foods and drinks that can potentially stain your teeth, such as tea and coffee.

Small price to pay for being high as a kite all day :biggrin:

x2791258 said:

I'm pretty sure some kind of exercises are better at reducing, let's say, stress, than others.

Yes it does relax me, it's quite exhilarating going on the stepper or walking.

I prefer not to run, but I can run real fast (I have holes in my shoes from such runs, I mean sprints).

x2791258 said:

Not really. Exercise is exercise. At least when it comes to cardio. I feel like crap every morning I wake up. I take care of this by putting on my jogging shoes and getting out of the house as fast as possible, within 30 minutes of waking up. 1/4 mile into my jog, I start feeling great. If I don't jog, I feel like crap for most of the day.

After my jog, I stop off at the coffee shop and kick in my runner's high with a big cup of caffeinated coffee :biggrin:

I love coffee but more intake to this is harmful yet I drink at least 3-4 coffee a day... Is this too much?

I'm addicted to caffeine - I have a choice of coffee or migraines.

Coffee tastes much better.

I drink a lot (2-4 cups a day), although I've been drinking less lately because I'm out of creamer. Painful not to have creamer.

I drink zero coffee, or any other caffeinated beverages... I avoid the stuff since it tends to exacerbate my anxiety disorders (yes, I meant to pluralize it). Although, sometimes I allow myself a bit of chocolate, because, hey, who can resist? Doesn't have much caffeine, anyways.