Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coffee. Yes coffee. Do you really feel a difference ?

1. Yes. (please explains the details)

63.8%
  2. No.

36.2%
  1. Feb 19, 2013 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

Coffee. Yes coffee. Do you really "feel a difference"?

Instead of pointlessly debating whether caffeine affects our body (which it does of course), I want to know whether you really "feel a difference" when you drink coffee.
    Does it prevent you from sleeping?
    Can you stay concentrated on your studies for a longer time/and or later at night?

I really love coffee for its taste, I drink 1 strong and big coffee (about 350 ml) per day at least, yet I feel absolutely nothing.
    I don't feel it perturbs my sleep or make it touger to reach. It takes me generally over 2 hours of laying in my bed before I get to find sleep, no matter if I drink a coffee just before sleeping.
    I don't feel it helps me to keep concentrated for a longer time when I study, etc.
    I know my heart beat is very likely faster after drinking a coffee but apparently that's not something I can notice, unless of course if I'd measure it with a chronometer.

On the other hand I can feel a difference if I drink a 200 ml glass of beer at 4% alcohol.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2013 #2
    Re: Coffee. Yes coffee. Do you really "feel a difference"?

I avoid caffeine because it keeps me up all day. Once, when my daughter was about 10, she drank a cup of my wife's coffee. She was bouncing off the walls.

4. Feb 19, 2013 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Caffeine makes me sleepy. Shortly after I have a couple of cups, I'll have to take a nap. I started a ritual of having a large cup of coffee right before bedtime when I was in my teens. It's a comfort thing.

5. Feb 19, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I've drank coffee twice in my life but in a rather large amount; I didn't feel any change. What I did feel was the horrible bitter taste. I went back to Welch's grape juice immediately =D.

6. Feb 19, 2013 #5

WoW. Must be a spectacular scene. Did she also reach the opposite wall from where she bounced off?

Hmm. Caffeine does not affect you the usual way. Maybe those doctors could use Coffee instead of anesthetics on you.

7. Feb 19, 2013 #6

fluidistic

Gold Member

Wow! :biggrin:
    I was not expecting such kind of -funny- answers.
    To wannabeNewton, I've tried a few times to drink wine in my life but could not go further than a single small gulp so I feel your "pain" :)

8. Feb 19, 2013 #7

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

My mom drinks so much coffee per day and I always ask her why because I didn't get how someone could consume something so bitter all the time. It didn't even seem like it was making her any more productive. She said it became like second nature after a while.

9. Feb 19, 2013 #8

I'm a little bit sensitive to caffeine I think. I can't drink half a cup after 3pm or I will be up way past midnight. I also feel jittery even after a cup of latte.
    I was up until 4am last night because I went to a coffee shop and ordered a decaf latte. It was definitely not decaf. I didn't realize that until I drank almost half the cup.

10. Feb 19, 2013 #9

Yes if affects me, if I'm sleepy and take 1 small cup of coffee it takes me off that sleepy state very fast. If I take like 3 small cups of coffee or more, I get very agitated and can't stop moving :tongue: It affects different people differently, I know a guy that gets sleepy by drinking coffee, and he drinks 7-8 cups of coffee some days.

11. Feb 19, 2013 #10

Mute

Homework Helper

I rarely drink coffee. I much prefer the iced coffees to hot coffees, as well, but even those I try not to drink often. One of the reasons I avoided coffee when I was younger is that I saw all of these other students (especially the Master's students in the first lab I worked in!) being seemingly reliant on the stuff to function, so I decided it was better not to get hooked on using caffeine as a crutch to function throughout the day!

That said, I did used to drink quite a lot of diet coke. I didn't drink it for the caffeine, though. Then again, I've cut back in recent years, and I do feel more tired that I used to, but I think that's just a sign that I'm not as young as I used to be. (Sadly, I'm still pretty young. =P )

12. Feb 20, 2013 #11

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Depends on the strength. Typical coffee doesn't wake me up, if anything, it makes me sleepy. But many years ago we had some work to do at my friend's home, he offered me a coffee - and it was so strong I thought my heart will jump out through my ears. Good thing it was 10 am.

13. Feb 20, 2013 #12

I chose yes.
    If I take a break from caffeine for a spell and then have some I feel it.
    If I drink 2 Java Monsters, I for sure feel that.
    When I have my 2 Mountain Dews after I get up for work in the evening, I don't notice a difference, or I am so used to it, the effect isn't profound enough to for me to notice.

14. Feb 20, 2013 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Definitely yes. I feel a rush about 15 minutes after I drink it. And it doesn't fade quickly - if I drink coffee after noon, I'll have trouble sleeping that night.

But sometimes if I drink too much it will make me feel kind of drowsy, yet if I do manage to get to sleep when I'm 'under the influence' it's not a restful sleep.

15. Feb 20, 2013 #14

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Yes. Coffee boosts me.
    At work I drink it throughout the day.
    The downside is that I have little energy in the evening.

One time at a friend's place, I felt a bit low on energy and drank 3 coffee in a row, but it didn't help at all and I was even starting to feel a bit nauseous.
    Then it turned out that this "friend" had coffee without cafeine!!
    I have never touched that stuff again!

16. Feb 20, 2013 #15

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thanks all for the replies! :D
    Interesting.

17. Feb 25, 2013 #16

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is there such a thing as "life before coffee"? Is there, really. It all sounds kind of speculative to me.

18. Feb 25, 2013 #17

Every time I drink one of the massively oversized caffeinated beverages at a cinema, I can't sleep until very early hours of the morning (4AM or so).

19. Feb 25, 2013 #18

At first it didn't give me any extra energy, then one day when I was fairly tired it finally worked. I haven't looked back since. Only on mornings when I'm in really high spirits and have a lot of energy will I not have a cup. However, it makes me urinate a lot, so I need to control my intake when I go out to places where a washroom isn't readily available, or when my destination is relatively far away (I walk everywhere, so travel takes a lot longer).

20. Mar 3, 2013 #19
    I've experimented with the effects of caffeine off and on for several decades. It's potency for me seems to vary depending on how regularly I consume it. If I stay off of it for several months and then drink one cup of coffee, it's effects are much more noticeable than if I consume one cup every day. It's effects are the usual for me. It helps alleviate sleepiness and makes me more alert. However, too much will make me nervous and jittery.

I have recently discovered that coffee contains acrylamide. But I don't think it contains as much as potato chips and french fries, so I'm not too concerned about it right now. If you go to a coffee shop in California you may notice a warning sign posted as a result of prop 65.

21. Mar 4, 2013 #20
    Coffee. Yes coffee. Do you really "feel a difference"?

Personally, I'm not really a fan. Not sure why but it always upsets my stomach. Not badly enough to avoid it all the time, but is very rare that I do drink coffee. I don't love the taste and it's, IMO, expensive as hell.
    But to answer the question, I find it only very slightly affects me. It only keeps me slightly more awake but I definitely still have to focus just as hard.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook