Cohen-Tannoudji on mutually exclusive (?) events

In summary: As I understand it, ##P(a_1)=P(a_2)+P(a_3)+...+P(ab_1)##.Assuming that ##P(a_1)=P(a_2)+P(a_3)+...+P(ab_1)##, then the total probability is ##P(a_1)=P(a_2)+P(a_3)+...+P(ab_1)+P(a_4)+P(a_5)+...+P(a_b)##.In summary, the author discusses a probabilistic interpretation of the state vector ##\psi## and shows that, under certain assumptions, the
terra
I was looking at what Cohen-Tannudji has to say on compatibility of observables.
Assumptions: ## A,B## are operators such that ##[A,B]=0 ## and we denote ## |a_i \,b_j\rangle## to be states for which ##A | a_i \, b_j \rangle= a_i | a_i \, b_j \rangle##, ##B | a_i \, b_j \rangle= b_j | a_i \, b_j \rangle##.
We start with the state ##|\psi \rangle= \sum_{i,j} c_{i,j} | a_i \, b_j \rangle ##.
The whole discussion starts with the following:
"The probability for finding ## a_1 ## is ## P(a_1)= \sum_{j} |c_{1,j}|^2 ##." (Page 232 in a 1977 edition.)
Have I forgotten something fundamental? I thought that the amplitudes ## \langle a_1 \, b_{j'} | \psi \rangle ## and ## \langle a_1 \, b_j | \psi \rangle ## are mutually exclusive for ##j' \neq j ##, so that according to quantum rules for probability
$$P(a_1)= \big| \sum_j \langle a_1 \, b_{j} | \psi \rangle \big|^2= \sum_j \sum_{j'} \langle a_1 \, b_j | \psi \rangle \langle \psi | a_1 \, b_{j'} \rangle. $$
I see no reason as to why ##j'= j ## should hold.
My apologies for the slightly dull question, but I'm a bit lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm completely ignorant of the physics here. However when dealing with probabilities, mutually exclusive means the probability of both happening is 0.

mathman said:
I'm completely ignorant of the physics here. However when dealing with probabilities, mutually exclusive means the probability of both happening is 0.
Thanks for the reply, yeah.
Let ## a,b## be exclusive events. For classical physical things ## P(a\mathrm{ \, or \, }b)= P(a) + P(b)##. In quantum physics, however, we have ## A(a\mathrm{ \, or \, }b)= A(a) + A(b)## where ##A \in \mathbb{C}## is a 'probability amplitude' so that ## P(x)= A(X) A^*(X)##, star denoting a complex conjugate, for some event ## X##. This definition will bring so called interference terms when compared with the classical case (they disappear in the classical limit).
In my case, ## | a_i \, b_j \rangle ## are vectors.. some physical states, in fact, that have well-defined (=certain) values for some observables ##A,B## (so, a physical state always has some value or a distribution of values for both). We have different states for different ## i## and ## j##. A term ##\langle a_1 \, b_j | \psi \rangle## is actually just such an amplitude for the state ## | \psi \rangle## having the value ## a_1 ## for ## A## and the value ## b_j## for ## B##. I'm trying to determine the total probability to find that the value of ## A## for ## |\psi \rangle## is ## a_1##. As I see it, ##|\psi \rangle## can have that value while having ##b_1,b_2,b_3,... ## for ## B##.

1. What are mutually exclusive events?

Mutually exclusive events are events that cannot occur at the same time. This means that if one event happens, the other event cannot happen. For example, if you flip a coin and it lands on heads, it cannot also land on tails at the same time.

2. How are mutually exclusive events related to Cohen-Tannoudji's work?

Cohen-Tannoudji's work focuses on quantum mechanics, specifically the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. In this context, mutually exclusive events refer to the behavior of particles, such as an electron, and the different outcomes that can occur when measuring its properties.

3. Can mutually exclusive events ever occur simultaneously?

No, by definition, mutually exclusive events cannot occur simultaneously. This is because they are defined as events that cannot happen at the same time. If they were to occur simultaneously, they would no longer be considered mutually exclusive.

4. How are mutually exclusive events represented in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, mutually exclusive events are represented by the concept of superposition. This means that particles can exist in multiple states at the same time until they are observed or measured, at which point they collapse into a single state. This is similar to flipping a coin and not knowing whether it landed on heads or tails until you look at it.

5. Are mutually exclusive events important in quantum mechanics?

Yes, mutually exclusive events are a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. They help explain the probabilistic nature of quantum phenomena and have implications for various applications, such as quantum computing and cryptography.