Quantum Computing: Positive Operators are Hermitian

In summary, Exercise 2.24 on page 71 of Nielsen and Chuang's Quantum Computation and Quantum Information asks to show that a positive operator is necessarily Hermitian. The hint given is to first show that an arbitrary operator can be written as $A=B+iC$, where $B$ and $C$ are Hermitian. Using this, it is shown that a positive operator $A$ must be Hermitian, as $\langle x|A|x\rangle\ge 0$ for all vectors $|x\rangle$ and $C$ is Hermitian and must be equal to zero, thus making $A$ Hermitian as well.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
Exercise 2.24 on page 71 of Nielsen and Chuang's Quantum Computation and Quantum Information asks the reader to show that a positive operator is necessarily Hermitian. There is a hint given; namely, that you first show an arbitrary operator can be written $A=B+iC$, where $B$ and $C$ are Hermitian. N.B., Nielsen and Chuang are pretty much always working in finite-dimensional Hilbert spaces. Recall that a positive operator $A$ is one such that $\langle x|A|x\rangle\ge 0$ for all vectors $|x\rangle$. An Hermitian operator $A$ is one such that $A=A^{\dagger}$. Here is my solution to the problem:

I claim that $A=B+iC$, where
\begin{align*}
B&=\frac{A+A^{\dagger}}{2} \\
C&=\frac{A-A^{\dagger}}{2i}.
\end{align*}
We can easily verify that $A=B+iC$. Note that
\begin{align*}
B^{\dagger}&=\frac{A^{\dagger}+A}{2}=B \\
C^{\dagger}&=-\frac{A^{\dagger}}{2i}+\frac{A}{2i}=C.
\end{align*}
Hence, $B$ and $C$ are both Hermitian. Now we assume that $A$ is positive, and that $B$ and $C$ are defined as above. For a positive operator, we must have $\langle x|A|x\rangle\ge 0$ for all vectors $|x\rangle$. Since $C$ is Hermitian, it is normal, and hence is diagonalizable. That is, it has a representation
$$C=\sum_i \lambda_i|i\rangle\langle i|,$$
where the $\{|i\rangle\}$ is an orthonormal basis of the space $V$. If it is an orthonormal basis, then we can write
$$|x\rangle=\sum_jx_j|j\rangle.$$
Hence,
\begin{align*}
C|x\rangle&=\sum_i \lambda_i|i\rangle\langle i|\sum_jx_j|j\rangle \\
&=\sum_{i,j}\lambda_ix_j|i\rangle\langle i|j\rangle \\
&=\sum_i\lambda_i x_i|i\rangle.
\end{align*}
Since
$$\langle x|=\sum_j x_j^*\langle j|,$$
we have that
\begin{align*}
\langle x|C|x\rangle&=\sum_j x_j^*\langle j|\sum_i\lambda_i x_i|i\rangle \\
&=\sum_{j,i}\lambda_ix_j^*x_i\langle j|i\rangle \\
&=\sum_i\lambda_i|x_i|^2.
\end{align*}
Since $C$ is Hermitian, its eigenvalues are real. Hence, $\langle x|C|x\rangle$ is real. By the same token, $\langle x|B|x\rangle$ is real. In order to be able even to write
$$\langle x|A|x\rangle=\langle x|(B+iC)|x\rangle=\langle x|B|x\rangle+i\langle x|C|x\rangle\ge 0,$$
the portion $\langle x|C|x\rangle$ must be either pure imaginary or zero. It is not pure imaginary. Hence, it must be zero. Therefore, $A$ is Hermitian.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to introduce a basis. Since ##\hat{C}=\hat{C}^{\dagger}## you have
$$\langle x|\hat{C} x \rangle=\langle \hat{C}^{\dagger} x| x\rangle = \langle \hat{C} x|x \rangle=\langle x|\hat{C} x \rangle^* \; \Rightarrow \; \langle x|\hat{C} x \rangle \in \mathbb{R}.$$
Since by assumption ##\hat{A}## is positive semidefinite, from that you must have ##\langle x|\hat{C} x \rangle=0## for all ##|x \rangle \in \mathcal{H}##, and thus ##\hat{C}=0##.

Likes PeroK and Ackbach

1. What is a positive operator in quantum computing?

A positive operator in quantum computing is a mathematical concept used to represent physical observables, such as position, momentum, or energy. It is a Hermitian operator that has only positive eigenvalues, meaning it can only produce results that are greater than or equal to zero.

2. What does it mean for an operator to be Hermitian?

An operator is Hermitian if it is equal to its own adjoint, which is the complex conjugate of its transpose. In quantum computing, Hermitian operators are used to represent physical observables and have important properties, such as having real eigenvalues and being self-adjoint.

3. How are positive operators used in quantum computing?

Positive operators are used in quantum computing to represent physical observables and to calculate the probabilities of obtaining certain outcomes in a measurement. They are also used in quantum algorithms, such as quantum state tomography and quantum error correction.

4. What are the benefits of using positive operators in quantum computing?

Using positive operators in quantum computing allows for more accurate and precise calculations of physical observables. It also ensures that the results obtained are physically meaningful and can be interpreted correctly.

5. Are all Hermitian operators positive in quantum computing?

No, not all Hermitian operators are positive in quantum computing. While all positive operators are Hermitian, the reverse is not always true. Some Hermitian operators may have negative eigenvalues, which means they can produce results that are less than zero.